Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>TV Woes
sofaman 06:12 AM 11-05-2010
I purchased a Panasonic Plasma less than 2 years ago and it is broke allready:-) After doing a little research on line I have found out that this is a very comon problem(bad power supply) The set will not power up it just has a red blinking light in the front thats known as the blinking light of death. After sevral calls to Panasonic customer service the only thing that they will do for me is jive me a phone # to a tv repair shop thats an hour and a half drive away that they may or maynot pay for they tell me that the shop has to evaluate the tv and fax the evaluation to Panasonic and they would make there decision from there. And here is the kicker the shop wont even take the tv without a $250 deposit. I wish they would do the right thing and stand behind there product:-) At this point I am ready to just take a ball bat to it and buy a new set on black friday:-)
[Reply]
AD720 06:19 AM 11-05-2010
As much as that sucks you are probably better off just getting a new set with the way the prices are dropping. It'll cost you about the same or more to get it fixed.

That's a bummer though. I've had my Panny Plasma for over three years now and not had a problem at all (knock on wood).
[Reply]
Martel 06:19 AM 11-05-2010
That sucks. The way prices on these have come down recently, it may be more worthwhile to look for a deal on a new one. Can't imagine you're looking at a cheap repair if they're asking for a $250 deposit.

Cheers,
G
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:01 AM 11-05-2010
Scott...I feel your pain brother!! I had the same thing happen to my Phillips Plasma about three years ago (at the time, the thing was only 18 months old). Luckily my warranty covered this and after FOUR months of tv repair BS...they said it couldn't be fixed and Phillips sent me the choice of a new Phillips TV (No FFFing thanks!!) or a voucher for $ 1800. I took the voucher and bought a 55" Vizeo LCD and haven't looked back since!! :-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 10:09 AM 11-05-2010
Can't you get a new power supply online? It probably just plugs in and snaps together.
[Reply]
MiamiE 10:48 AM 11-05-2010
I wouldnt pay $250. I have a Samsung 50" plasma and its now around $550 brand new, I paid like $1000.
[Reply]
sofaman 11:40 AM 11-05-2010
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
Can't you get a new power supply online? It probably just plugs in and snaps together.
I would like to do that I saw the power boards on ebay for $99 but I am not sure this would fix the problem if it dosent I would be stuck with a $99 board :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 12:40 PM 11-05-2010
I would give the board thing a shot worse comes to worse you buy it and sell it back on eBay. You'll loss less than $20 tops.
[Reply]
Wanger 01:18 PM 11-05-2010
Look at some of the ads out there now. Saw that Best Buy had a great deal on an LG LED set with a Blu Ray surround system with a $100 gift card, and an offer for 0% interest for 3 years.
[Reply]
BloodSpite 01:21 PM 11-05-2010
I had bought a Magnavox DVD/VCR combo unit for my daughters bedroom probably a year ago Paid about $300 for it.

Thing lasted 8 months and then when you turned it on it would turn immediately off again.

Magnavox told me to jump in the lake (in not so many words) and the repair shop figured it would cost about $300 to fix.

Might as well buy another TV, thats what I did anyway :-)
[Reply]
sofaman 11:20 AM 11-06-2010
Update: Went to sears this morning and came home with a Sony Bravia 52nx800 problem solved:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:42 PM 11-06-2010
Originally Posted by sofaman:
Update: Went to sears this morning and came home with a Sony Bravia 52nx800 problem solved:-)
:-) :-)
[Reply]
Up