Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Aristocrat questions
bigliver 10:49 PM 11-03-2010
I'm about to make the leap and purchase an Aristocrat. I'm looking at the Ultra right now. I have a couple of questions I'm hoping you all can chime in on and help me answer.

1) Bob's humidification system or beads?

2.) Is the THC model worth the extra dime?

Right now I'm leaning towards the THC model just based on my location and the fact that summers here are brutal.

Thanks for the inputs.

j
[Reply]
mash 10:54 PM 11-03-2010
Congratulations.
I think the Set and Forget is worth the money. The only maintenance is filling up the reservoir every 6 weeks or so. It is very consistent.
I also have a THC, and the peace of mind is worth it. If you live somewhere hot, and your temps are not controlled in the summer, you may be putting your collection (which is probably worth a lot more than the cooling system) at risk.
There is lots to stress about in life, I don't want my cabinet humi to be one of those things.
[Reply]
nick2021 11:54 PM 11-03-2010
I think the THC is worth it, but it's a good jump in price. If I could've afforded it, I would've gotten it with my Aristocrat MxT....kind've sucks having to freeze cigars (a process I now do as a result of a beetle outbreak). If I had the THC, I probably would not worry about freezing like I do now.
[Reply]
68TriShield 04:42 AM 11-04-2010
Set and forget-yes
THC-I don't have it so I wont comment.
One of the finest products I have ever purchased,that goes for service too.
[Reply]
elderboy02 05:07 AM 11-04-2010
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
Set and forget-yes
THC-I don't have it so I wont comment.
One of the finest products I have ever purchased,that goes for service too.
I agree 100% The Set and Forget is a must in my opinion. Whenever I open my cabinet, 100% of the time the humidity is what I set it at. No fluctuations at all :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:57 AM 11-04-2010
I get more than 6 weeks between filling my resevior. Does your home have AC? If the power goes to the house, it will go out on the humidor as well.

One tip - Buy a cabinet larger than you think you'll ever need.
[Reply]
nick2021 10:45 AM 11-04-2010
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
I get more than 6 weeks between filling my resevior. Does your home have AC? If the power goes to the house, it will go out on the humidor as well.

One tip - Buy a cabinet larger than you think you'll ever need.

x2 on this, which is why I went with the Mxt and am glad I did as my wife has told me it's filling up fast!
[Reply]
markem 10:48 AM 11-04-2010
set and forget is way worth it. I thought about beads only and after talking to Bob and others I went with the active system. Honestly, my cigars have never been in this good of shape with just beads.

For the THC, I'd call Bob and go with what he advises. He talked me out of THC based on my location. He is in the business more to make people happy than to sell them useless bits.
[Reply]
ucla695 10:58 AM 11-04-2010
I use beads in mine because I'm near the ocean and couldn't get the Rh down. I'm also happy I sprung for the THC. Especially during the summer months.

I also second buying the biggest cabinet you can afford! I wish I had.
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 11:19 AM 11-04-2010
Set and Forget is a must :-)

Also a thought, if you're trying to keep cost down, is to go online and purchase a stand alone thermo-electric cooling unit and just have an electrician install it. It won't be near as pretty but it will cost probably 1/10th of the preinstalled system and does the same job.
[Reply]
DennisP 11:55 AM 11-04-2010
Definitely want active humidification on a cabinet that size, add some beads if you live in a high humidity area as well.
[Reply]
montecristo#2 10:36 PM 11-05-2010
I actually use beads in mine and do not fill up the reservoirs. I live pretty close to the water as well and had trouble keeping the RH down so I went with about two pounds of beads.

When I mentioned it to Bob he said the price difference was only about 75 dollars since I have the THC and the controller is the same. I am still glad I got it though as it helps circulate the air and the reservoirs catch condensation.

I went in last week to reorganize and did not realize the reservoirs were actually half full, so maybe I have been using the system. lol
[Reply]
Up