Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>It pays to have a big mouth
neoflex 08:28 PM 10-27-2010
My wife and I ordered baby furniture 2 months ago and when we ordered it they informed us that it was a very popular set and we wouldn't be able to take delivery until late Oct early November. We really liked the set plus I liked the fact that it was super solid so we figured no big deal since the baby wouldn't be here until the end of November. So fast forward to last Thursday. I get a phone call from BuyBuy Baby so they can tell me that the furniture company is behind schedule due to the popularity of the set and it won't be available until early January. WTF?(In my head) So I politely said "So, since we ordered the furniture two months ago and you can't stick to your obligation I guess our baby won't mind sleeping on the floor." They offered to give us a temporary fix for the crib but I told the woman although I appreciate the gesture I am still not happy with their handling of the transaction and I am sure another company would be more than happy to take the 5 grand we dropped on furniture in one night with them and find us something we will like instead. I didn't order a set to have a temporary set to be here when the baby comes home and than have to disrupt her room a couple months later to change everything out. So she said she would see what she could do and call me back. No problem. She called me the next morning informing me she found the whole set in a store in SC and hour away and she would have a truck go pick it up asap. So tomorrow everything is supposed to be delivered. Can't beat the price of $100 for them to deliver and put everything together. Still amazes me that because I wouldn't budge they managed to find what we needed in less than a day about an hour away. I suppose most people would be fine with the delay and move on but in this case I guess it payed to be a stubborn SOB. Now lets hope that the furniture is the right set and color tomorrow when they show up. Especially since the glider was a custom color order. I also think it's no coincidence that my wife said she would stay home and wait for the furniture rather than have me do it. Probably too scared I will find something wrong with it and send it back.:-) I am still shocked that the probability is that most people would have received the phone call informing them of the two month delay and not give them a load of crap for it.
[Reply]
pnoon 08:35 PM 10-27-2010
You can be damn sure they would have gotten a load of crap from me.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
hscmit 08:36 PM 10-27-2010
glad it worked out, and hope they deliver the right stuff tomorrow (I too would have given them a polite earful about it)
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:52 PM 10-27-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Posted via Mobile Device
What he said!
[Reply]
pektel 09:09 PM 10-27-2010
Was it their fault? I completely understand the frustration, but unless they are building the furniture in house, some things are out of their control. they trust the manufacturer when they give them an estimated delivery date. I like the fact that they went the extra mile and located a set for you. And glad you weren't one of the self righteous types that tend to think they are the only customer inthe world. I think it was handled properly by both sides.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
neoflex 09:52 PM 10-27-2010
I understand that they do not build the furniture and can not control if the manufacturer falls behind in production but when all was said and done I am more annoyed that other stores had it in stock and rather than fulfill the current orders with inventory they have they would rather bump you an additional 2 months making the wait 4 months total. So even though I ordered 2 months prior they would rather keep an inventory in another store for someone to just walk in and walk out with the same furniture that I have been waiting for rather than keep their current customers happy especially since I paid in full 2 months prior so had I waited that could have been 4 months the money could have been sitting in my account and not theirs. I was also annoyed at the fact that rather than call me a month or so prior since I am sure they knew they were falling behind in production they decided to wait until the time I was to receive my furniture to inform me. So if they couldn't locate a set it would have given me very little time to find something else since most places don't stock a lot of inventory and it would have made it almost impossible to have the room ready for when the baby arrives.
I am glad that they worked with me and located a set rather than tell me I was SOL. The original woman I dealt with was kind of a b*tch and just had the too bad your SOL attitude but once I got above her to the manager she was a pleasure to deal with so I am very grateful for that since I really didn't want to become the giant d*ck I tend to become in situations like this. I also think the fact that I bought a bunch of crap that night in addition to just the babies furniture set and since it's all getting delivered together I mentioned that if they couldn't deliver the furniture in a more timely manner than they wouldn't have to bother bringing anything I bought because I would take all my business elsewhere. In the end they came through which is awesome and saved me from getting stressed out about it since they took care of it very quickly.
So tomorrow I am hoping all goes well as the way my luck usually runs the furniture will show up in Oak rather than Cherry.:-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 10:50 PM 10-27-2010
Now my kid has to sleep on the floor because you got your way!!!

Just kidding!!!
:-)

Good for you!!!:-)
[Reply]
LostAbbott 11:15 PM 10-27-2010
Dude if you are dropping 5 grand on baby furniture then you better get whatever you want when you want it. Good on you!
[Reply]
hammondc 08:16 AM 10-28-2010
I have not been on this earth very long (32 years), but customer service is for **** these days. I do not know why anyone has to raise a fuss or be an ass to get anything done these days.

I realize Pektel's point about them not manufacturing the furniture, but Neo is absolutely right that it is unacceptable that orders are not being filled from existing stock in other stores. With the markup as crazy as it is at Worst Buy (even with additional freight), they are making good money on a $5k sale.

I am in a very similar situation with my job as there is an industry-wide shortage on commercial vehicle tires. I am shuffling things from store to store, combo-ing loads from the factory, begging & borrowing just to keep orders filled. Yes, it is more work, but it is very appreciated if it is done without someone raising a fuss.
[Reply]
pektel 08:54 AM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by hammondc:
I have not been on this earth very long (32 years), but customer service is for **** these days. I do not know why anyone has to raise a fuss or be an ass to get anything done these days.

I realize Pektel's point about them not manufacturing the furniture, but Neo is absolutely right that it is unacceptable that orders are not being filled from existing stock in other stores. With the markup as crazy as it is at Worst Buy (even with additional freight), they are making good money on a $5k sale.

I am in a very similar situation with my job as there is an industry-wide shortage on commercial vehicle tires. I am shuffling things from store to store, combo-ing loads from the factory, begging & borrowing just to keep orders filled. Yes, it is more work, but it is very appreciated if it is done without someone raising a fuss.
I was not disagreeing with him that it was unacceptable about the lead time, and not filling an order from another store, if they had access to the other store's inventories. I do not know how their inventory systems work (if they have a networked system that will show all inventory in all stores). So, if they dont have access to it in a computer, all the salespeople know is the lead time (estimated, not guaranteed) that the manufacturer tells them, and update their customers accordingly. Someone would've had to take the initiative and call around to find another set for him.
[Reply]
hammondc 09:04 AM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by pektel:
I do not know how their inventory systems work (if they have a networked system that will show all inventory in all stores).
I know for a fact that they do at the Best Buy electronics store.
[Reply]
hammondc 09:07 AM 10-28-2010
Hmmm...looks like I made a critical error in assuming that Best Buy (electronics) and Best Buy Baby are related. After further research, it appears that they are not.

Me feels kinda dumb dumb.
[Reply]
BloodSpite 09:08 AM 10-28-2010
Good for you!!

But dang dude....$5 grand?

Just think how many cigars you could have bought!!! :-)
[Reply]
babybob2k 09:11 AM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by neoflex:
Still amazes me that because I wouldn't budge they managed to find what we needed in less than a day about an hour away
They probably had two sets sitting in their warehouse to fill five orders. Four other people got the same call you did. The three that gave them the least greif about the delivery date change had to wait.
[Reply]
pektel 09:12 AM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by BloodSpite:
Good for you!!

But dang dude....$5 grand?

Just think how many cigars you could have bought!!! :-)
If I had 5 grand to spend on baby furniture, you can be damn sure the missus would've spent 5 grand on baby furniture! :-)

I think total furniture for my nursery was under 500 from wally world. Crib, changing table, and used dresser.
[Reply]
pektel 09:18 AM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by neoflex:
I was also annoyed at the fact that rather than call me a month or so prior since I am sure they knew they were falling behind in production they decided to wait until the time I was to receive my furniture to inform me. So if they couldn't locate a set it would have given me very little time to find something else since most places don't stock a lot of inventory and it would have made it almost impossible to have the room ready for when the baby arrives.
Agree completely with this. I always inform customers immediately of any news - good or bad. They appreciate the update, and it avoids any potential issues like the OP had.
[Reply]
shilala 09:34 AM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Posted via Mobile Device
The squeaky wheel. :-)
[Reply]
shark 09:43 AM 10-28-2010
Point is, they made good on it, at least tentatively. Sure, it sucks that you had to raise a stink to get what you paid for, but you were likely talking to a faceless, low paid drone at their call center, and you know how that can be. At least she did some extra legwork and got this taken care of.
[Reply]
Up