Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Alright winter, bring it on!
larryinlc 09:10 PM 10-22-2010
I bought a Subaru Impreza 2.5i for the safety of awd in winter. I didn't buy it for sport, but it's plenty fun to drive. It's probably the nicest car I've owned in years. When I go car shopping, I have to buy what will work. Being disabled, I need hand controls and many cars can get butchered to fit them in. It's as if the Impreza was designed with the disabled driver in mind. In all my years of hand control use, I've never had a car that was so easy to equip with very little intrusion into the cabin space. This, above all else, is the single most important aspect for me. My new Subaru Impreza is a splendid car and that's just icing on the cake. How many of you guys here get to drive with a twist grip motorcycle throttle? I should add that I was driving a rear wheel drive Camaro that just sucked in these Wisconsin winters.

Larry

[Reply]
68TriShield 09:22 PM 10-22-2010
Very clean simple set up.Enjoy it Bro :-)
[Reply]
Chingas 09:23 PM 10-22-2010
Congrats on the ride Brother. I've never seen the band controls like you got. You're obviously used to it but I think it would take me a while to get the hang of that!
[Reply]
markem 09:24 PM 10-22-2010
Very nice, Larry. I love my Subu and I hope yours performs well for you as well.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 09:25 PM 10-22-2010
That's pretty darned sweet!
[Reply]
LostAbbott 09:33 PM 10-22-2010
So uhhhh how exactly do you drive that? I assume you twist for throttle but it looks like and awkward spot to reach... Also how do you brake?
[Reply]
larryinlc 09:42 PM 10-22-2010
Originally Posted by LostAbbott:
So uhhhh how exactly do you drive that? I assume you twist for throttle but it looks like and awkward spot to reach... Also how do you brake?
Yes, twist for throttle and the whole control set-up is attached to the steering column with a rod going directly to the brake pedal. The control pushes forward to brake.

What's so good about this car is the knee bolster had enough gap to slide slide the stuff in between the column and bolster. Usually, given tight spaces, the bolster has to be chopped up which makes for an ugly new car.

Larry
[Reply]
sikk50 01:38 AM 10-23-2010
Very very clean subie sir! I'm impressed by the cleanliness of the set up
[Reply]
Barcode 03:51 AM 10-23-2010
Was it hard getting comfortable using your left hand for the twist throttle? All the bikes I have ridden the throttle is on the right.
[Reply]
qwerty1500 10:15 AM 10-23-2010
We keep hearing good stuff about Subaru. It will probably be on our short list the next time around.
[Reply]
larryinlc 10:24 AM 10-23-2010
Originally Posted by Barcode:
Was it hard getting comfortable using your left hand for the twist throttle? All the bikes I have ridden the throttle is on the right.
Not really. I've had hand controls for 30 years and they've always been operated with my left hand, although they were not twist grip like these new ones.

Larry
[Reply]
Up