Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Generic humidors
lawman 03:33 PM 10-22-2010
Thinking about stepping up from my useful though somewhat undignified "tupperdor" to a real humidor. I refuse to spend hundreds, if not thousands, on the higher end humidors as aesthetics mean nothing to me. I just want something that will take good care of my sticks.

What's the story on the generic humis that just about every online cigar vendor carries? Without a name brand to go by, it seems hard to get an apples to apples comparison between websites much less have any idea of the quality of the product. Are these things worth looking into?
[Reply]
Nefari0us 03:37 PM 10-22-2010
How many sticks are you looking to store?
[Reply]
lawman 03:44 PM 10-22-2010
Something mid-sized...50 to 75.
[Reply]
Nefari0us 03:58 PM 10-22-2010
If you really dont care how it looks, there are a couple sites that sell humidors that are "imperfect" meaning they have a scratch or something, but function perfectly fine. I know cheaphumidors has imperfects, but I have never personally dealt with that company. You should also check cbid auctions, you might find something there for a good price
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 04:56 PM 10-22-2010
Originally Posted by Nefari0us:
If you really dont care how it looks, there are a couple sites that sell humidors that are "imperfect" meaning they have a scratch or something, but function perfectly fine.
Good idea! :-)

I would recommend Bargain Humidors. They have great sales on imperfects and from what I have gathered from the many that have purchased these "imperfects" is that they have been extremely happy and it's usually hard to tell that it is an imperfect.
[Reply]
TXRebel 05:29 PM 10-22-2010
Originally Posted by lawman:
What's the story on the generic humis that just about every online cigar vendor carries? Without a name brand to go by, it seems hard to get an apples to apples comparison between websites much less have any idea of the quality of the product. Are these things worth looking into?
A lot of the humidors, not all, are imported by QI.
[Reply]
Kreth 05:30 PM 10-22-2010
Originally Posted by lawman:
Something mid-sized...50 to 75.
So you're looking for a 200-count... :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Bill86 05:41 PM 10-22-2010
IMO just get a cooler. The humidity control I get is much better and that 50-75 will turn into 500-750 in less than 6 months time spent here. I've been here 3 months and without counting I'd gather I have somewhere around 250 cigars. When I first joined I expected to never have more than 50-75 cigars. Now I sit ~250-275 and IMO I'm "running low". There's a good 10-15 more on the way If I remember correctly.

120 quart cooler = $55 (Buy it at walmart)
2 pounds of beads = $60 (Heartfelt)
Digital Hygrometer = $20 (Heartfelt)
Total ---------- = $135

Say goodbye to seasoning, say hello to BIG OPEN SPACE!

You can store somewhere around 30-40 boxes in a 120 quart. My guess is 750 ish cigars.

Any humidor you buy if it says 300 count...you can bet it's more like 180-200. They don't account for beads or a digital hygrometer. Also they measure in smaller ring gauge cigars, less than robustos last I remember hearing.

I absolutely LOVE my cooler, my desktop humidor is nothing but problems and for a "300 count" (it's more like 180) I paid $170 or so after all the beads, hygro and shipping.

Sorry for the long post but that's what everyone told me when I got here and they were right of course.
[Reply]
bobarian 05:50 PM 10-22-2010
Originally Posted by Bill86:
IMO just get a cooler. The humidity control I get is much better and that 50-75 will turn into 500-750 in less than 6 months time spent here. I've been here 3 months and without counting I'd gather I have somewhere around 250 cigars. When I first joined I expected to never have more than 50-75 cigars. Now I sit ~250-275 and IMO I'm "running low". There's a good 10-15 more on the way If I remember correctly.

120 quart cooler = $55 (Buy it at walmart)
2 pounds of beads = $60 (Heartfelt)
Digital Hygrometer = $20 (Heartfelt)
Total ---------- = $135

Say goodbye to seasoning, say hello to BIG OPEN SPACE!

You can store somewhere around 30-40 boxes in a 120 quart. My guess is 750 ish cigars.

Any humidor you buy if it says 300 count...you can bet it's more like 180-200. They don't account for beads or a digital hygrometer. Also they measure in smaller ring gauge cigars, less than robustos last I remember hearing.

I absolutely LOVE my cooler, my desktop humidor is nothing but problems and for a "300 count" (it's more like 180) I paid $170 or so after all the beads, hygro and shipping.

Sorry for the long post but that's what everyone told me when I got here and they were right of course.
:-)

But if you insist on a humidor, go twice as large as you think you need and avoid glasstops at all costs. :-)
[Reply]
dwoodward 08:22 PM 10-22-2010
I am looking at an Edgestar possibly if i can find a decent one for a good price. I joined the forums thinking I would never have so many cigars. I was wrong.

Joining CA was your first mistake. lol
[Reply]
TheDudeAbides 09:01 PM 10-22-2010
http://www.compactappliance.com/TWR2...efault,pd.html

I got my Edgestar from this outfit some months back. Filled up faster than I expected.......
-Dude
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 09:20 PM 10-22-2010
I mostly use coolerdors, but have a desktop humidor, brand name Savoy. It works very well.
[Reply]
Up