Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Ashton VSG torpedo
Don Fernando 11:19 AM 10-14-2010
From the early days of my cigar smoking career I have been a fan of the Ashton VSG series and noticed that I only reviewed the scorcerer, so when I saw this torpedo in my humidor I knew I had to smoke and review it. I bought this stick in a local shop and it has a price tag of 10 euro.

The nice oily wrapper has a lot of small thin veins and has a leathery look and is quite dark. The construction, which is box pressed, feels good and the predraw gives the right amount of resistance. I taste some raisin while I smell a firm barnyard smell.

I taste a strong coffee flavor with some earth. The flavors are sticky and mild spicy. After two inch I can't taste the coffee anymore, just earth and herbs, still spicy but no longer sticky.

Halfway I also get a very mild cacao flavor on the background. The earth flavor gets stronger.

The smoke time of this cigar is 95 minutes and during that time I got a fine draw, fine burn and a nice amount of smoke. The light colored ash is firm. This cigar is both full bodied and full flavored.

Would I buy this cigar again? Nah, I prefer the scorcerer

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
[Reply]
gijoey959 12:10 PM 10-14-2010
Cool review :-) I have been wondering about ashton vsg's for a while. I guess I'll have to try em on my next B&M single sticks pick up
[Reply]
hscmit 04:05 PM 10-14-2010
one of my favorites
[Reply]
Mr B 05:30 PM 10-14-2010
Had the Illusion size yesterday. 1 of my favorites!
[Reply]
Scottw 05:30 PM 10-14-2010
Nice review bro. Great pics.
[Reply]
Ferrari5180 05:59 PM 10-14-2010
Thank you for the review as usual dude. Those look delicious. Got to get me some of them to at least try. It can't hurt :-)
[Reply]
TheDudeAbides 06:19 PM 10-14-2010
Phenomenal review, my friend. I'm in toatl agreement with you: not only do I have a longtime soft-spot for the VSG's, but the Sorceror is definately my favorite size.
-Dude
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:53 PM 10-14-2010
Another fine review Ferdie!! :-)
[Reply]
bigdix 01:47 AM 10-15-2010
Originally Posted by Mr B:
Had the Illusion size yesterday. 1 of my favorites!
:-) The Tres Mystique is a great short smoke too. Same RG as the Illusion, just a good bit shorter. :-)
[Reply]
SNKBYT 03:50 AM 10-15-2010
hard to beat a VSG......1 of my favorite smokes....got a few in the humi, they go good w/rum
[Reply]
Tashaz 04:05 AM 10-15-2010
Thanks for the review, making it harder to resist the Torp I have had sitting for 6 months. :-)
[Reply]
STEVE S 07:55 AM 10-15-2010
As always another great review, of one of my favorite cigars. I'm hoping to meet you on November 6th, when you get together with the south Florida group.
[Reply]
lenguamor 07:24 PM 01-25-2012
I had one of these in the "assorted" tray for a few years (around 2005-6) and decided to fire it up.

All the usual flavor and complexity, although I have had the flu for over a week now and it's dulling my sense of smell. I did make out one overriding impression, though, and it was far from the usual: a definite impression of cola. I thought that was kind of funny.

A little sour/bitter at the end, but that just might be my impaired palate.

All in all, my favorite by far in this line is the Enchantment, but this was an enjoyable interlude.
[Reply]
Up