Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>University of Phoenix Alumni?
Darrell 10:37 AM 10-13-2010
Is there anyone here who is a UOP Alumni?

If so can you provide any experience and information on the school?

I'm looking for pros and cons as well as general information about how the courses are taught, etc.

I realize it will vary probably by degree program, but I'm looking for a general idea.

Community college isn't working for me, so I'm exploring other options.
[Reply]
forgop 10:43 AM 10-13-2010
I'm not an alum of UoP, but let me just say that there is little to no credibility to a degree from any online program IMO(unless it's done through a major university).

I would personally stay away from any school that is looking for a profit because it only signals they are more concerned with enrollment than quality of education. My B-I-L was a president of a couple of online schools and just hearing him talk about the garbage they go through, it's all about recruiting and retention above all else. He's now at a local CC that I wouldn't give :-) to go to either. At the end of the day, you're paying for an education and the last thing you want is a very expensive piece of paper because for a lot of online programs, that's all it is worth. :-):-):-)

What do you intend to study?
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 10:55 AM 10-13-2010
Originally Posted by forgop:
I'm not an alum of UoP, but let me just say that there is little to no credibility to a degree from any online program IMO(unless it's done through a major university).
That's certainly not true. I'm not a UOP alumni either, but I do a fair amount of hiring and we don't look negatively at people who are online grads. I know plenty of people who have gone through UOP, and one of the nurses I work with teaches a few online courses, I could find out some info for you Darrell. What were you looking at studying?
[Reply]
E.J. 11:08 AM 10-13-2010
For what it is worth, not an alumni of UoP, but my ex is and she was hired by a large corp. for a very nice position related to her advanced degree from UoP.

I also work with many social workers who have advanced degrees from UoP and they are licensed on those degrees.

I know of a few other individuals who I am acquaintances of who have advanced degrees from UoP, all of which have had their degrees recognized in their hiring process and subsequent career path.

I am under the impression that UoP has real accreditation, as opposed to some of the other institutions, and their accreditations, that UoP at times get associated with.
[Reply]
forgop 11:13 AM 10-13-2010
I had the opportunity to get a PhD from an online program and feedback I was given questioned the legitimacy of such a program because it was strictly an online school. This was after completing my masters in aeronautical science. I considered becoming a professor for any one of the three schools within 75 miles of Indy with aviation programs.
[Reply]
E.J. 11:17 AM 10-13-2010
I had the opportunity to get a PhD from an online program and feedback I was given questioned the legitimacy of such a program because it was strictly an online school.
I was not aware that UoP was online? Locally they have a very nice B&M facility. In the end, I think every school has to be looked at on its own merits....
[Reply]
Lucky_Hippo 11:19 AM 10-13-2010
I would personally stay away from any school that is looking for a profit because it only signals they are more concerned with enrollment than quality of education.
As someone who's been to several "real" colleges and have read this on a number of forums, I have to say it simply isn't fair to paint online colleges with this brush without painting brick and morter schools with the same color paint. All colleges are about making a profit. Let's not confuse school pride with a better education.

I havn't taken any courses at UoP but I know several people already headlong into their careers and family life who've used these opportunites to further their own education and family income that they wouldn't have had otherwise. They've worked hard and shown that a driven person can still reach for goals without sacrificing what's important to them.

Welcome to the 21st century my friend. This "new" approach at higher education will only grow as technology keeps expanding. Any college will only take you as far as your own drive to use it.

Now missing out on the toga parties and panty raids is a completely differnt matter all together. :-)
[Reply]
sikk50 11:34 AM 10-13-2010
In my experience, I'm going to agree with Duane. My current employer as well as the career I'm looking at getting into don't fully recognize a degree from online schools.

I say fully bc if you have a degree from there you will be placed above those without degrees, however you won't be placed with others who have an equivalent degree from an acredited school. And that's where the difference comes. It's not an accredited school, of you got there and get a BA it won't be recognized by other institutions, e.g. If you went to a CSU or UC to get an MA you would have to redo your BA degree.

Not to discourage you Mean D but if you want to do online try to do it through an accredited school, IF that's what you're after, if you're just trying to get a degree and an extra line on your portfolio then go for it! It's all up to you and what you want from it
[Reply]
BloodSpite 11:36 AM 10-13-2010
I am a UofP alumni.
Graduated in 2009. Currently pursuing my bachelors in Business through them as well.

I have attended brick and mortar schools as well. Went to North Metro tech in Acworth GA in the 90's before I signed my life away :-) Went to University of Tennessee as well for a bit. Didn't complete either mostly due to deployments and duty station changes.

UofP isn't bad. The trick is to maintain focus and most of all make time.

I can't emphasize that enough.

Be happy to answer any questions for you though.
[Reply]
Gophernut 11:37 AM 10-13-2010

I would personally stay away from any school that is looking for a profit because it only signals they are more concerned with enrollment than quality of education.
I work for a for profit education school, and this couldn't be further from the truth. Are we concerned with enrollment absolutely, are we concerned with quality of education? Of course we are. It's the only way I know to keep the profits coming in. If we don't graduate capable students, we can't help them find a career. If we don't help them find a career, we have simply failed them and any word of mouth is going to be negative. We have, like UoP both online and in residence courses. We work hard to make sure our programs are current, and are being presented in a way that employers want to speak with our graduates.
I am sorry, but saying all schools who are for profit are only in it for the money, is simply not true. I work daily with people who's dedication to the students is amazing. They stay late, they get here early, they take the time to tutor students on their own time. I wouldn't hesitate to look at a for profit school to enroll in. My daughter goes to the one I work for.
Having said that, make sure the college is accredited. If it's not, then your degree won't carry any weight. Just because it's online doesn't mean it's not accredited. UoP is accredited.
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 12:18 PM 10-13-2010
Darrell, without getting involved in stereotypes, snobbish personal opinions and uninformed claptrap, let me offer you a some first hand experience.

My wife picked up her Master of Science in IS from UOP (she has a Chemical BS from a brick and mortar university).

She worked her butt off for two years for that MIS. UOP holds their students to a high standard and makes them work, unlike many online and for profit schools. Their instructors are dedicated and first rate. It's also expensive. If you enroll at UOP, understand you're making a serious time and financial commitment. The classes were every bit as demanding as any university level course either of us have ever taken. It's a substantial work load.

As far as whether the degree carries any weight? My wife was offered teaching positions at three different colleges after completing the degree, all of which require a Master degree as a basic job requirement. After retiring in CA and moving to NV, she decided to go back to work out of boredom. Three months ago she was offered an Administrator's job in the IS department of the local state community college here in Vegas on the strength of her Master's degree and previous experience. Bear in mind the current economic conditions and fact that Las Vegas has something like a 14% unemployment rate at the moment, with fierce competition for every job. In her experience, the UOP degree has certainly been embraced by all employers she's had contact with.

Best of luck.

Bill
[Reply]
Skywalker 01:58 PM 10-13-2010
Community College is a heck of a lot cheaper!

I have talked to a few people who have gone through UoP (btw - UOP is University of the Pacific) and have gone into debt.

Your Community College should offer many of their courses online, if not others do.
:-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 03:18 PM 10-13-2010
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Is there anyone here who is a UOP Alumni?

If so can you provide any experience and information on the school?

I'm looking for pros and cons as well as general information about how the courses are taught, etc.

I realize it will vary probably by degree program, but I'm looking for a general idea.
Community college isn't working for me, so I'm exploring other options.

In general, I would stay away from UoP Darrell.
But I think it depends on what your doing. Your going into Education right? Or healthcare?? I can't remember.

Also, I am going to assume that Community College is not working because of time constraints?
[Reply]
Darrell 08:47 PM 10-13-2010
Thanks for the input, it's appreciated. A few things to mention:

University of Phoenix is regionally accredited like most other universities.

Also, cost isn't a concern, the Govt. pays for my schooling because of the GI Bill.
[Reply]
Up