Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Sports>Somebody explain sports 'lines' to me...
hammondc 08:04 AM 09-30-2010
I am looking at college lines in ESPN

for example:

Texas A&M at Oklahoma State, 7:30 PM ET Preview »
BODOG.COM
OPEN
66.5 O/U

CURRENT
67.0 O/U

I think the O/U (over/under?) is the total points scored.
The smaller # determines the favorite. But, how do you read it? In the above example, is it saying that A&M is favored to lose by 3.5 or win by 3.5?

Also, what is the difference between Open & Current?

Thanks!
[Reply]
Mugen910 08:09 AM 09-30-2010
total score will either be OVER 67 or UNDER 67

Texas A&M will start the game with a -3.5 and will need to win by 4 if you pick them.
[Reply]
yourchoice 08:14 AM 09-30-2010
Originally Posted by hammondc:
I am looking at college lines in ESPN

for example:

Texas A&M at Oklahoma State, 7:30 PM ET Preview »
BODOG.COM
OPEN
66.5 O/U

CURRENT
67.0 O/U

I think the O/U (over/under?) is the total points scored.
The smaller # determines the favorite. But, how do you read it? In the above example, is it saying that A&M is favored to lose by 3.5 or win by 3.5?

Also, what is the difference between Open & Current?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
total score will either be OVER 67 or UNDER 67

Texas A&M will start the game with a -3.5 and will need to win by 4 if you pick them.
Close, but not quite right. The home team is used as the basis of the point spread. In other words, A&M is +3.5 (will cover if they lose by 3) and Okla St. is favored by 3.5 (-3.5) (will cover if they win by four or more). Hope that helps.

And yes, the O/U is the total points scored in the game by both teams combined.
[Reply]
Mugen910 08:22 AM 09-30-2010
:-) I always get the home team part confused.
[Reply]
hammondc 08:51 AM 09-30-2010
So in the above example..

Oklahoma is favored by 3.5 points (the negative for A&M is actually positive points for OK)?
So, Oklahoma has to win by 4 or more for me to win?

What if the 67 O/U is not met. Ex: OK 14 & A&M 7 = 21 Points total?

This stuff is confusing as hell.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:13 AM 09-30-2010
Totally separate bet. If you bet the Under, you win. If you bet the Over, you lose.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
yourchoice 09:14 AM 09-30-2010
Originally Posted by hammondc:
So in the above example..

Oklahoma is favored by 3.5 points (the negative for A&M is actually positive points for OK)?
So, Oklahoma has to win by 4 or more for me to win?

What if the 67 O/U is not met. Ex: OK 14 & A&M 7 = 21 Points total?

This stuff is confusing as hell.
Okla St is -3.5...favored by 3.5 and yes, has to win by 4 or more for someone betting them to win.
A&M is +3.5...a 3.5 pt underdog, and would win the bet by either winning the game outright, or losing by 3 or less.

The over/under is 67. If the two teams combine for more than 67 points, someone who bets the over wins, and someone who bets the under loses. If they score less than 67 points, the under bettor wins, the over bettor loses. If there are exactly 67 points scored it is a "push" and neither side wins or loses.

This is the case for "straight" bets. Figure this out before asking about parlays, teasers, moneylines and things of the like! :-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 09:17 AM 09-30-2010
Originally Posted by yourchoice:
Okla St is -3.5...favored by 3.5 and yes, has to win by 4 or more for someone betting them to win.
A&M is +3.5...a 3.5 pt underdog, and would win the bet by either winning the game outright, or losing by 3 or less.

The over/under is 67. If the two teams combine for more than 67 points, someone who bets the over wins, and someone who bets the under loses. If they score less than 67 points, the under bettor wins, the over bettor loses. If there are exactly 67 points scored it is a "push" and neither side wins or loses.

This is the case for "straight" bets. Figure this out before asking about parlays, teasers, moneylines and things of the like! :-)
:-)
[Reply]
hammondc 01:04 PM 09-30-2010
Originally Posted by yourchoice:

OK.....I guess I am close enough for now. That last sentence does not help
:-)
[Reply]
Up