Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Mark Twain to be honored
mobarbq 03:26 PM 08-27-2010
Not sure if there are any stamp and cover collectors here, but it might be of interest to a few.

The USPS has announced its lineup for 2011 and it includes a commemorative postage stamp honoring one of the most famous cigar smokers, Mark Twain.

We have plenty of time, and I hope to make a philatelic souvenir cover possibly carried on board a riverboat and then posted from Hannibal, Mo., Twain's birthplace (born as Samuel Langhorne Clemens).

Heck, we have enough time to organize a herf, maybe on board a cigar-friendly riverboat, take a dinner cruise down the Mississippi or something like that? Maybe us Missouri and Illinois inmates could get together and fire one up in his memory?
[Reply]
The Poet 03:40 PM 08-27-2010
Wes, you provide the barrel of 5-cent cigars, and I'll bring the raft. :-)
[Reply]
mobarbq 05:53 PM 08-27-2010
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Wes, you provide the barrel of 5-cent cigars, and I'll bring the raft. :-)
Given his penchant for what many today might call "dog rockets," I somehow think the Master would be OK with that arrangement; maybe even 2 for a nickel ones would do... :-)

[Reply]
M1903A1 08:21 PM 08-27-2010
His comments on cigars are awesome...if there was a commemorative riverboat herf, I'd be tempted, and I know a couple of fellers down St. Lou way who probably would be too!! :-)
[Reply]
ashtonlady 09:18 PM 08-27-2010
I am a stamp collector. I will love it when this comes out. I only wish I could be there.
[Reply]
Starscream 09:22 PM 08-27-2010
I love Mark Twain/Samuel Clemmens!
[Reply]
smokin5 10:16 PM 08-27-2010
A true American hero & humorist.
Sammy boy, I salute you!:-)
[Reply]
mobarbq 12:35 PM 08-29-2010
I don't know the Hannibal area very well. Anyone know if there is a local herf location or any cigar aficionados in that area of NE Missouri/West Central IL? I think the riverboat based there is called the Mark Twain II, but internet info may be dated. I do think it would be a cool idea.
[Reply]
Up