Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>I have a Seal-A-Meal question.
shilala 10:59 AM 08-27-2010
I have yet to figure out how to seal wet stuff.
Is it possible to seal a bag of leftover soup or a bag of water to make ice packs, or stuff like that?
I usually use zip locks, then sealameal them, but that ain't gonna work.
I'm making sketti sauce, and I really need to be able to seal the different wet cooked parts till I can finish everything early next week.
I don't want to freeze anything, just bag it and refrigerate it. Zip locks will make a mess, and bowls will take up too much room.
I really want to use the sealameal if I can.
[Reply]
pektel 11:07 AM 08-27-2010
I would go get the disposable glad tupperware. Easily stackable to maximize storage space, and you won't have to worry about spilling.

Otherwise, you should put all the ziplocks in a cake pan (preferably glass, since tomatos can have a very acidic effect on the metal pans.) then put them all in the fridge. It would at least contain any spills.
[Reply]
ninjavanish 11:35 AM 08-27-2010
Possibly Freeze the sauce in a container... like maybe ice cube trays? Then pop the little frozen chunks out of the "mold" throw them into a sealable bag. Seal... then allow to thaw? Something like that... or maybe a larger "mold" like a tupperware that you aren't worried about.

I know this method works well with things like Chicken Stock. Like if you want to reserve it to make soups with at a later date. I do this all the time. But of course we don't allow the Chicken Stock Cubes to thaw until we put them in the saucepan. Then the heat of the stove thaws them.

Just an idea.
[Reply]
Starscream 11:41 AM 08-27-2010
Originally Posted by pektel:
I would go get the disposable glad tupperware. Easily stackable to maximize storage space, and you won't have to worry about spilling.
:-)
I've never heard of Seal-A-Meal, so I can't really answer that question. disposable Tupperware is great though.
[Reply]
CigarNut 02:01 PM 08-27-2010
I think it would work if you:
- put the seal-a-meal on the "moist" setting
- make the bag larger than needed, fill the bag with your food
- rest the filled bag in a pan, with the edge of the bag hanging outside the pan
(edge needs to be long enough to reach from the pan to the seal-a-meal
- put edge of bag in seal-a-meal and go for it

See my crude drawing...
Attached: sealameal.jpg (15.5 KB) 
[Reply]
dwoodward 02:36 PM 08-27-2010
I would go all barbarian and hold the sealer above the bag and seal the open end that way... Just have something or someone hold the bag, then seal it from above.
[Reply]
shilala 04:19 PM 08-27-2010
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
I think it would work if you:
- put the seal-a-meal on the "moist" setting
- make the bag larger than needed, fill the bag with your food
- rest the filled bag in a pan, with the edge of the bag hanging outside the pan
(edge needs to be long enough to reach from the pan to the seal-a-meal
- put edge of bag in seal-a-meal and go for it

See my crude drawing...
Thank You, Michael. That is exactly what I'm going to try.
I don't think my seal a meal has a moist setting, but I think your drawing will work great. :-)
[Reply]
Up