Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Coffee Discussion>Exploring the world of Press...few questions
Silound 10:49 AM 08-10-2010
Let me start by saying, I'm a junkie. I appreciate things such as a 100% Kona or a select production roast from Costa Rica as much as I can appreciate Burger King coffee. I just LIKE coffee and it's flavor.

That being said, I've been looking into some FP's, and I ran into an interesting...dilemma. All presses seem to follow the same core design and have acceptable parts (stainless screen/plunger, rubber seal ring and skirt, moderate thickness safety glass body), so what separates that $20 press from Target/Walmart from the $100+ press that I can get at a specialty shop?

I literally looked both over, and other than semantics and aesthetics, it's all the same to my engineering mind. Is it just one is more durable?

Second thought, I looked all over the net, some coffee books, and here, but I never found a definite answer. How hot should the water be? Fresh off the boil, steaming hot but not boiling? Some websites were saying a full rolling boil, while others said hot but not boiling. Seems water that's too hot will kill some of the flavors.

Third, why the hell do I drink so much coffee? :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:04 AM 08-10-2010
The finishing of the mesh filters can be nice, along with whether it has the silk micro filter which I strongly suggest.

Other than that, it is the carafe the glass fits into and whether it is a designer like Starck or Alessi...

I have been using the same FP since mid 70's. I have had to replace the glass several times, but that's it.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:05 AM 08-10-2010
Originally Posted by Silound:
How hot should the water be? Fresh off the boil, steaming hot but not boiling? Some websites were saying a full rolling boil, while others said hot but not boiling. Seems water that's too hot will kill some of the flavors.

Third, why the hell do I drink so much coffee? :-)

Off boil for sure. Pour a few oz's in, stir, let it bloom, fill to top and wait 4 minutes...
[Reply]
JaKaacH 02:16 PM 08-10-2010
The separation factor is $80.00:-)
I love my $20.00 Bodum from target.
[Reply]
itzfrank 05:04 PM 08-10-2010
I got a $20 recycled one from Starbucks..

Tastes and works just as good as the $100 ones at our Local Chef Allan's.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 05:46 AM 08-12-2010
I've had bad luck with off brands and, particularly, Bonjour brand (wire ends hanging out off the filter - makes it impossible to clean with a cloth or sponge); always good luck with Bodum brand. Perfect, mostly.

Bodum Columbia presses = 1 for life. Get the biggest and forgettabowdit.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:48 AM 08-12-2010
Originally Posted by Mister Moo:

Bodum Columbia presses = 1 for life. Get the biggest and forgettabowdit.
I think Bodum is the "original".

If you are into design, Alessi makes several nice ones.
[Reply]
Up