Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Marcas, Vitolas, CC vs NC
Brutus2600 08:29 AM 08-01-2010
I've learned the terms 'marca' and 'vitola' soon after joining this board, and after some reading and then confusion on my part, I have a question about these. I know that in strict terms, the marca and vitola refer Cuban cigars as their brands and sizes, but is it incorrect to transfer those terms over to non-Cuban cigars as well? Would it be more correct just to say 'brand' and 'size' for a NC cigar? Or is this just preferance and either could be correct?

I just ask because I always hesitate to say marca or vitola in reference to NC cigars, and if it's no big deal I could refer to them as such, haha :-)

Thanks for the input all :-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 08:41 AM 08-01-2010
Originally Posted by Brutus2600:
I've learned the terms 'marca' and 'vitola' soon after joining this board, and after some reading and then confusion on my part, I have a question about these. I know that in strict terms, the marca and vitola refer Cuban cigars as their brands and sizes, but is it incorrect to transfer those terms over to non-Cuban cigars as well? Would it be more correct just to say 'brand' and 'size' for a NC cigar? Or is this just preferance and either could be correct?

I just ask because I always hesitate to say marca or vitola in reference to NC cigars, and if it's no big deal I could refer to them as such, haha :-)

Thanks for the input all :-)

CC ........NC
Marca = Brand
Vitola = Size

I only use Brand and Size when talking about NCs and Marca/Vitola for CC. Only because it saves from the funny looks I get from NC smokers when I use CC terms.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 09:22 AM 08-01-2010
Yeah, I guess I meant mostly talking about them here, since you guys know those terms. I know it depends on my audience when they wouldn't know what the heck I was talking about and would just give me funny looks like I was talking gibberish :-) lol
[Reply]
pnoon 09:41 AM 08-01-2010
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
CC ........NC
Marca = Brand
Vitola = Size

I only use Brand and Size when talking about NCs and Marca/Vitola for CC. Only because it saves from the funny looks I get from NC smokers when I use CC terms.
I'm with Bao on this one.

Referring to CAO or Tatuaje as a marca sounds goofy.
Sizes among NCs are all over the map and yet called the same thing. CC vitolas are a standard naming convention.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:50 AM 08-01-2010
i used the term marca on,y with CCs but i use the term vito,a for both NC and CC.
[Reply]
longknocker 10:09 AM 08-01-2010
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
i used the term marca on,y with CCs but i use the term vito,a for both NC and CC.
Dummy Me, I Use The Terms For Both NC & CC!:-) Thanks For The Clarification, All!:-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 10:41 AM 08-01-2010
I keep it simple and just use the English words.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 11:11 AM 08-01-2010
Well, sounds like I had about the general idea keeping the terms specifically directed at CC's, appreciate the input and info from the more knowledgeable :-) I'll just stick to brands and sizes for my NC sticks :-)
[Reply]
cort 11:29 AM 08-01-2010
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
:-):-)
[Reply]
marge796 11:38 AM 08-01-2010
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
Yup, me too "KISS" works best for my little mind.

Chris.....
[Reply]
newlifetaxidermy 12:37 PM 08-01-2010
I tend to use brand and size for both CC and NC... With the hundreds of brands of NCs with all their funny names for sizes that I can hardly ever remember, I typically say the vitola instead of the name...ex Illusione....I can't keep the numbers straight, so I say I smoked the robusto or the churchill or the lonsdale.
[Reply]
Up