Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Help uninstalling Ubuntu from Windows 7
moosie 10:44 PM 07-26-2010
Can anybody offer a sure fire way to remove Ubuntu? Tried bootrec /fixmbr and /fixboot. No success.
[Reply]
T.G 10:51 PM 07-26-2010
Tried an iBrick yet? It's totaly cross platform...
[Reply]
markem 10:52 PM 07-26-2010
I'm guessing that you want to reinstate the default win7 bootloader in place of grub (the bootloader ubuntu installs) so that you can then recover the disk space from the ext partition.

I'd go to http://ubuntuforums.org/ and search around (or post a question) or go to microsoft.com and search on "remove grub" or "remove ubuntu". A quick search on MS gave me this link.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...d-4cbadd7c933c

You may also have to look up how to create recovery media.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 11:21 PM 07-26-2010
Windows has recovery function built in. Check to see if the last point of recovery taken is prior to Ubuntu installation and if so, just tell Windows to recover at that point.
[Reply]
darkleeroy 08:49 AM 07-27-2010
I'd imagine a Windows 7 reinstall would be the easiest way. Obviously back up your information before you do that.
[Reply]
Pass 07:51 AM 07-28-2010
Are they on the same physical drive?

You SHOULD be able to simply format the ext3 and swap partitions to NTFS (thus blasting the data) and then simply run a FixMBR in recovery console mode. That will overwrite the bootrecord removing the Grub pointer.

If they are on the same physical drive this will leave you with 2 separate spaces... If you are wanting one contiguous partition for Winblows then you will have to reinstall.

Now, as for how to remove the linux partitions... Since I'm assuming that you will be in Winblows doing this, you will need a program like Partition Magic or other partitioning program that will allow you to see the ext partitions -- since Winblows will not detect them.

Of course, the most simplistic way to do all of this for your average user is to simply back up your stuff and reinstall 7 from a clean slate.
[Reply]
Up