Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Age Ole Question: Is this Plume or Mold????
bsmokin 07:24 PM 07-24-2010
I just received a box of these today. RASCC 08s. Yummy. But potentially a bummer... :-)

On one of the cigars (only one it seems) there is a small amount of what is likely either Plume or Mold... and I'm affraid it's mold as it looks rather fluffy and spore like. I'm trying to figure it out and want people's opinions.

Also, what should I do with the cigars if it is mold or we think it at least may be mold. Don't want to put it in the vino with the rest of my stock right??? Do I have to freeze them or something???

Please check out these pictures and let me know what you think! Thanks for your help guys!!!

Attached:
[Reply]
acruce 07:32 PM 07-24-2010
Doesn't look to bad, but it is mold. Just wipe it off and enjoy. It will be fine.
[Reply]
markem 07:34 PM 07-24-2010
harmless mold. Wipe it off and enjoy the stick. I have a PSP2 tubo with almost the same patters on Thursday afternoon. One of the best PSP2 tubos that I've had so far.
[Reply]
longknocker 07:35 PM 07-24-2010
Originally Posted by acruce:
Doesn't look to bad, but it is mold. Just wipe it off and enjoy. It will be fine.
I Agree. Mold. GL & Hope Your Other Sticks Are OK!:-)
[Reply]
The Dakotan 07:37 PM 07-24-2010
Step 1: Wipe it off in your mouth
Step 2: Taste it
Step 3: If it tastes like mold, it's mold.
Step 4: Repeat.

Plume doesn't get that big and is usually spread more evenly. But, as Mark said, just wipe it off and smoke it. No need to bother a vendor with that little mold.
[Reply]
hotreds 08:00 PM 07-24-2010
Originally Posted by acruce:
Originally Posted by markem:
harmless mold. Wipe it off and enjoy the stick. I have a PSP2 tubo with almost the same patters on Thursday afternoon. One of the best PSP2 tubos that I've had so far.
Originally Posted by longknocker:
I Agree. Mold. GL & Hope Your Other Sticks Are OK!:-)
Originally Posted by The Dakotan:
Plume doesn't get that big and is usually spread more evenly. But, as Mark said, just wipe it off and smoke it. No need to bother a vendor with that little mold.
Yupper! No worries, mate!
[Reply]
cort 08:15 PM 07-24-2010
RA:-) Smoke that sumb!tch:-)
[Reply]
bsmokin 08:18 PM 07-24-2010
thanks guys! I'm bummed to find out its mold and Im very worried about putting these in my fridgador for this reason!!!! :-) This is from a full box, but this seems to be the only one with a problem...
[Reply]
bsmokin 09:00 PM 07-24-2010
Alright... based on this advice here I decided to just bite the bullet.

The cigars in the box looked pretty good otherwise. The cigars did not seem over humidified at all. Based on feel, I would guess they are at about 65%. I did find one other cigar in the box with about the same amount of mold. I read on line that you can use distilled white vinegar to clean off the mold and this will kill it. I did this. Seemed a little better than just wiping it off without anything else.

Anyway... it was such a small amount, I probably shouldnt be so worried about it. But I will keep a closer eye on things for a while... good excuse to play more with my stash :-)
[Reply]
M1903A1 09:06 PM 07-24-2010
Originally Posted by bsmokin:
thanks guys! I'm bummed to find out its mold and Im very worried about putting these in my fridgador for this reason!!!! :-) This is from a full box, but this seems to be the only one with a problem...
Any time I get traces of mold like that on sticks, I wipe 'em down lightly with a paper towel dipped in alcohol. (Takes away the mold, and I figure the alcohol will kill any other spores.) After that, just treat 'em like any other stick.

On mold, I did some research on the stuff years ago (after an outbreak at my parents' house), and I read that mold spores are prevalent enough that you can regard everything as having spores on it. The trick is to not let the conditions develop for them to take root and turn into mold. And if you keep your humidor/storage container properly regulated for temperature and humidity, mold shouldn't be an issue.
[Reply]
Up