Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Cigars becoming like baseball cards?
bobarian 12:18 PM 07-26-2010
Cigars are not collectibles, they are consumables. Play the game if you want but in the end they are all meant to be burned. :-)
[Reply]
TripleF 01:50 PM 07-26-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Cigars are not collectibles, they are consumables. Play the game if you want but in the end they are all meant to be burned. :-)
True. True. But I do like collecting this type of kindling :-)
[Reply]
hank_612 10:57 AM 07-27-2010
I would like a 2010 boxed set of fuente or padron. Or a signed Don Pepin black for my collection. I think Rocky is more like the stale useless bubblegum than any of the cards imho.
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 11:45 AM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by The Poet:
One difference I see - with baseball cards, you buy a pack in the hope that it might have that "limited edition hologram platinum signed rookie throwback contest winning" card inside, thus giving you a windfall as well as as a delighting treat. With cigars, they don't toss these primos into random boxes of the "regular" line, and instead expect you to pony up for a stick they tell you is "special", but which may totally suck.
:-) And to be honest, it's pretty rare that I can justify spending so much more on a "special edition" versus the regular line. Perfect example for me is Tatuaje...I LOVE my Tats, but I won't shell out a ton of money to get my hands on the next special edition that could be near impossible to find, and when it's found, near impossible to afford.

I see it this way...when I was collecting baseball cards, I abandoned all of the sub-sets and just stuck with what I loved...I'll do the same for my cigars. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 11:56 AM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by The Poet:
One difference I see - with baseball cards, you buy a pack in the hope that it might have that "limited edition hologram platinum signed rookie throwback contest winning" card inside, thus giving you a windfall as well as as a delighting treat. With cigars, they don't toss these primos into random boxes of the "regular" line, and instead expect you to pony up for a stick they tell you is "special", but which may totally suck.
I heard that Pete Johnson was going to randomly toss one uber-rare, solid gold, transforming into a motorcycle, talking, painted, tattooed cigar made from twenty-three different tobaccos into 3.1415 regular production boxes of cigars each year.

But then some jerk on the w00t.com forum whined about legalities and so he couldn't.
[Reply]
audio1der 04:19 PM 07-27-2010
Wait until you delve into Cubans.
Regional releases and Edicion Limitadas, each commanding a premium.. to each their own...
[Reply]
TripleF 07:12 AM 07-28-2010
Originally Posted by audio1der:
Wait until you delve into Cubans.
Regional releases and Edicion Limitadas, each commanding a premium.. to each their own...

I like using those in the spokes on my bike :-)
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 11:00 AM 07-28-2010
Originally Posted by TripleF:
I like using those in the spokes on my bike :-)
:-):-)

You are definitely quite the Cuban connoisseur, Scott. :-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 11:26 AM 07-28-2010
I have zero interest in limited/special edition cigars at all. If I paid $20+ bucks for a stogie, I'd never be able to get myself to smoke it, and what good is that?
[Reply]
Tredegar 03:21 PM 07-31-2010
I just wonder how many different brands of cigars were out there over 100 years ago. It seemed like every town, or city, had their own roller making cigars locally. New York City used to have hundreds of families working out of their homes rolling cigars, probably on a piecework basis. I would assume that quality could be an issue.
[Reply]
Bubba - NJ 11:38 PM 07-31-2010
Ghurka would be Fleer in my mind , especially the Metal line with all the fancy backgrounds . WHich cigar brand would be O-Pee-Chee ? Nice thread . I do have some cigars in my collection that I wont smoke for quite some time but will eventually .
[Reply]
pnutbutrsangwich 10:42 AM 08-01-2010
The one difference is that after you have chased down a box of rare stuff, you can still enjoy it. Cigars have utility and intrinsic value where cards end up being worth nothing if sentiment changes.

Let's say you spent $1000 on a GEM '85 Topps McGuire OLY RC in 1998 or you spent $1000 on an ultra limited cigar. Now, the Mac is probably worth like $50. Maybe the cigars aren't worth as much either, but I'll be they're a lot tastier than the Mac if you tried to smoke one :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up