Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Getting ready for Key West
chachee52 06:31 AM 07-13-2010
So earlier this year we headed down to Key Largo to check out a place to get married. Well it's almost time!! One more month!!!!
Key Largo was amazing and I can't wait to get down there to get some more smokes from the Island Smoke Shop!!
So after we get married we are heading to Key West. We are making a list of the "Must visit" places: Restaurants, museums, shops, etc.
Seeing I am a ParrotHead, we will be stopping at Louie's Backyard, and Captain Tony's, and the first Margaritaville to survive. Hemmingway's house is also on the list.
What else are we looking for? We are staying at the Southern Most Hotel too so easy access.
Also is there a place on another island that we should travel to?
Thanks guys!!! You we so helpful when we went to Key Largo, thought I'd ask this time too!!
Todd
[Reply]
Don Fernando 06:33 AM 07-13-2010
never been to Key West, so can't help you out, but please say Hi to Bill from me. And don't forget to grab a Cuban Sandwich from Marlin's while you're at Key Largo.
[Reply]
e-man67 06:41 AM 07-13-2010
Went to Key West for my honeymoon back in 97 but I don't remember anything in particular..must have been a good time! I remember it being beautiful.
[Reply]
Ogre 07:00 AM 07-13-2010
I have spent many a day and night in Key West. You have the normal stuff on your list. What I like to do is. Start on one side of Deval St, hit the sunset and come back on the other side. Hit every store, bar, club ect. Just stay hydrated and enjoy yourself.
[Reply]
Neuromancer 07:25 AM 07-13-2010
You want to have breakfast at Blue Heaven...fantastic breads and muffins and such, and great breakfast...it's a favorite with the locals...for seafood the Half Shell Raw Bar is another locals hangout...great food...see the sunset at Mallory Square, or even go out for the sunset cruise on the Great Eastern Clipper Ship...they'll even let you help hoist the sails...or is it called the Western Union...oh, well...guess I forgot...you can check it out when you're there...it was used to lay the transatlantic cable...

Ah, found it...Schooner Western Union. As the last tall ship built in Key West, she marks the end of the era of working coastal schooners. A voyage on the Schooner Western Union Maritime Museum is a unique opportunity to sail into history.

Built in Key West in 1939, she is one of the oldest working wooden schooners in the United States. Constructed to tend the Western Union cable lines, today she offers a mix of romance, fun, and excitement that could only be offered by THE premier sailing vessel of the Florida Keys.

Neat sunset cruise on it...
[Reply]
Gophernut 09:18 AM 07-13-2010
Definitely the Sunset Celebration at Mallory Square. Get there in time to see some of the street performers, they are always entertaining. Duvall Street is fun with the walk-up bars. I also really enjoyed Margarittaville being a Buffet fan. There are plenty of tours and sunset cruises that you can take. On Duvall street there is a stand that hand rolls cigars right in front of you. They have some very entertaining cigars as well. Have a blast, it's one of my favorite places in the Keys.
[Reply]
Ogre 09:22 AM 07-13-2010
The best cigar shop I found was behind Sloppy Joes. Is a small shop, good sticks.
[Reply]
Bax 11:14 AM 07-13-2010
Hit Fat Tuesdays for some frozen drinks! :-)
[Reply]
chachee52 01:34 PM 07-13-2010
Thanks guy, great ideas!! My fiance loves breakfast so I'm sure we'll hit Blue HEaven. I was hoping to get out for a sunset cruise as well. I love being on the water!!
One question with the roled cigars: is it good to smike them right then and there or do they need to be aged? I will deffinitely be taking some home with me but it's one of those things that I'll be a little kid and can't wait!!!
Been to Fat Tues in Philie and it was a lot of fun there too.
[Reply]
Eagle53 02:00 PM 07-13-2010
Be sure to tour Hemingway's house. Go to the Southern Most Point if you want. There are a ton of sunset cruises and dive trips. I haven't done a dry tortugas tour but I hear its a neat fort.

Get slammed on Duval Street but watch out for trannies in some of the bars.
[Reply]
Neuromancer 02:42 PM 07-13-2010
BTW, rent yourself a motor scooter to get around on...it's a lot easier than trying to find parking everywhere for a car...
[Reply]
STEVE S 06:49 AM 07-14-2010
Key West is alot of fun, great little shops and bars in the downtown area. The Heminway
house tour is a must see, the Sunset Celebration at Mallory Square is a one of a kind
show. For Cigar Shops Google "Cigar Shops in Key West Fl." Then go to Cigar walking
in Key West. This time of year the parking isn't as bad, but the motor scooters are alot of fun.
[Reply]
chachee52 07:00 PM 07-25-2010
So got some tips today about a Jimmy Buffet tour. I guess they go around to all the bars he used to sing and frequent and you have a drink there.
Also heard the Scooter's was a great place for a drink and cigar. They roll them right there for you. Anyone know anything about this?
less than 3 weeks to go!!! Can't wait!!!!
[Reply]
Up