Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>R.I.P. Don Coryell "Coach Air Coryel"
moosie 08:27 PM 07-01-2010
Multiple reports are emerging from San Diego that former Chargers coach Don Coryell has died at the age of 85.

Coryell coached the Chargers from 1978 through half of the 1986 season, compiling a record if 72-60. He resigned after eight games in his final year on the job.

A finalist for induction in the Pro Football Hall of Fame earlier this year, the coach took full advantage of rules changes aimed at opening up the passing game to create Air Coryell, an attack that turned quarterback Dan Fouts and tight end Kellen Winslow into Hall of Famers -- and the Chargers into perennial contenders.

Coryell had been ill for months. Eventually, he passed due to complications from pneumonia.
[Reply]
massphatness 09:14 PM 07-01-2010
RIP to a guy who brought real excitement to the game
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 10:58 PM 07-01-2010
Originally Posted by massphatness:
:-) One of my enduring football memories was watching that game where Winslow was on FIRE! Had to be helped off the field by two teammates when it was over with a towel draped over his head. Really respected a player that left his heart and soul on the field. :-)

RIP, Don Coryell... you certainly entertained millions with your innovation and passion for the game of football.
[Reply]
pnoon 11:59 PM 07-01-2010
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe:
:-) One of my enduring football memories was watching that game where Winslow was on FIRE! Had to be helped off the field by two teammates when it was over with a towel draped over his head. Really respected a player that left his heart and soul on the field. :-)

RIP, Don Coryell... you certainly entertained millions with your innovation and passion for the game of football.
:-)
He is an icon here in San Diego.
Unfortunately there are many who don't realize his impact on the the game.

RIP Coach.
[Reply]
Up