Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Illusione ~mj12~
Don Fernando 12:25 PM 05-25-2010
This cigar is named after the Majestic 12, a committee of scientists, military leaders, and government officials that had the task to investigate UFO's. The Illusione ~mj12~ is a toro grande, 6x54 and a Nicaraguan puro, from first generation criollo 98 and corojo 99 tobacco. The cigar are produced in Honduras.

The packaging of the cigar is quite unique, it is completely wrapped in tin foil. Now I am not sure, but it could be a reference to the tin foil hats and the name sake of the cigar. Once unwrapped I see a nice dark and oily wrapper with just 2 veins. The construction feels good and after punching I get a great predraw that tastes like straw and raisins.

I taste earth and coffee with some sweetness. The flavors are medium strong but smooth and friendly. After two inch the coffee disappears and I taste sweet herbs and earth. The sweetness is dominant.

Halfway the aftertaste is herbal without the sweetness. The main flavor still has the sweetness. After ¾ I get some leather in the background and at ⅔ I also taste some wood.

The smoke time of the 6x54 toro gordo is about 80 minutes. I got a lot of thick smoke and a good draw. I have no complaints about the burn too. The ash is light colored and firm. This cigar is medium flavored and medium to full bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, I would like a few more of these

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
[Reply]
Don Fernando 12:33 PM 05-25-2010
Forgot to say, this one was gifted to me by the owner of Pheasant Cigars in Las Vegas who shared a box of these with everybody at E.L.V.I.S. in june 2009
[Reply]
Mr B 12:45 PM 05-25-2010
I liked the MJ12. The only problem I got was after the first 1/3 there was not much change and it got a little boring. I seem to prefer the smaller R.G. Illusiones and Epernays. just my :-)
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 01:10 PM 05-25-2010
One of my favorite Illusione - Nice review!!!
[Reply]
MedicCook 09:48 PM 05-25-2010
Thanks for the review Ferdie. I have enjoyed the few I have smoked.
[Reply]
srduggins 11:47 AM 05-26-2010
Nice review, I think it's time for me to spark up another one of these. Thanks for the inspiration.
[Reply]
MarioF 12:42 PM 05-26-2010
I had one last night, it was the newer one not wrapped in foil. I enjoyed it, pretty consistent throughout, nice draw, good even burn but has mentioned above didn't change much, it ended the way it started. I have one more to smoke but not sure if I would pay 9 dollars again. The dark look and the wonderful smell made me pick them out.
[Reply]
e-man67 02:14 PM 05-26-2010
I didn't think I would like these due to the larger ring gauge but they are actually really good.
[Reply]
Partagaspete 05:11 PM 05-26-2010
Funny, I just think they taste like a ring ding with some cedar. F-ing delicious! but as said above it really doesn't change much but they sure are tasty.

:-)

I tried the small one (38 or 68) and that was one lil' firecracker.

ie reviw Ferdie.
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:53 PM 05-26-2010
Another fine review Ferdie. I wasn't impressed with the two I had.
[Reply]
Dark Jester 09:21 PM 05-26-2010
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, I would like a few more of these
:-) Nice review, I'm smoking one as I type this. :-)
[Reply]
Up