Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Outlook 2007 Problems?
RGD. 08:19 PM 05-18-2010
Anybody know of any sudden problems with Outlook?

Working fine last night and now this morning it won't send on any of my accounts. Did a Google but don't see anything that's current.

I started up another computer that I haven't used in about 3 months that still has all the old programs, etc on it. Opened up that copy of Outlook - same results. Will receive - will not send.

Installed Thunderbird - no problem sending.

Used iPhone for the same account - no problem sending from phone.

Since Thunderbird and iPhone work then it's not the server. Web enabled service works fine.

I'm a little stumped at the moment.

:-)

Ron
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:40 PM 05-18-2010
This is probably obvious and you probably did it, but I need to ask -- have you rebooted?
[Reply]
DBall 08:44 PM 05-18-2010
What is your smtp port setting? Compare that from the [working] Thunderbird account to the [non-working] outlook account... is one set to authenticate and another not?
[Reply]
Conch Republican 08:50 PM 05-18-2010
If what DBall said doesn't work, PM me and I might be able to fix
[Reply]
RGD. 10:21 PM 05-18-2010
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
This is probably obvious and you probably did it, but I need to ask -- have you rebooted?
Yes - several times.

Originally Posted by DBall:
What is your smtp port setting? Compare that from the [working] Thunderbird account to the [non-working] outlook account... is one set to authenticate and another not?
All set to authenticate. I didn't change the port settings on either this computer or the one that hasn't been used for several months.

Originally Posted by Conch Republican:
If what DBall said doesn't work, PM me and I might be able to fix
Checking the port settings verse the Outlook and newly installed Thunderbird: Thunderbird did not install on the default smtp port setting. So I changed the Outlook to match the Thunderbird port. Outlook worked.

So this brings up the next question - why now, why suddenly is the default port not working. I changed nothing. And it surely does not make since that a computer that hasn't been used in three months would be affected with the same deal.

As I'm typing this I'm wondering if my IP made changes last night. Currently using Fios. When I used Cox Cable, all outgoing mail had to go through their mail server and not mine - but still used the default port of 25. Under Fios though all mail goes through my servers.

Still thinking WTF??

Ron
[Reply]
dyieldin 10:34 PM 05-18-2010
Your ISP may have started blocking the port you were using. They have done things like that here in the past. I can not use port 25.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:02 AM 05-19-2010
When you test your mail account settings within Outlook, which part does it fail from. Are you doing POP mail?

Can you login to your mail via www.mail2web.com?

Try disabling your firewall.
[Reply]
Conch Republican 06:23 AM 05-19-2010
Ron - PM me with contact information...I think we can fix it...
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:23 AM 05-19-2010
Many large ISPs (like Verizon) recently blocked port 25 for outgoing mail, requiring users to switch to port 587. Verizon did not announce this to everyone they just did it.

Their logic is that many viruses and other evil-doing software use port 25, so they think that this change will cut down on the propagation, etc. Guess they think that the people writing the viruses can't also switch over to port 587....
[Reply]
Up