Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Sports>Fishing Reel Advice
blugill 12:42 PM 05-12-2010
I'm looking for a really good (and reasonably priced) spinning reel.
Something that's an all around good reel, a meat and potatoes type of reel that'll last a long time.

Rod recommendations are also welcome.

I know that there are tons of outdoorsmen on this forum and something that I can just use after work with the daughters and have a cigar by a lakeside is what I'm looking for:-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 12:49 PM 05-12-2010
Originally Posted by blugill:
Something that's an all around good reel, a meat and potatoes type of reel that'll last a long time.

I know that there are tons of outdoorsmen on this forum and something that I can just use after work with the daughters and have a cigar by a lakeside is what I'm looking for:-)

http://www.fishmitchell.com/
Solid reels, last forever. Your best bet for lower end reels. Abu also makes some good ones too.

Check this link out also. Good advice- http://www.cabelas.com/story-123/ros...52BGuide.shtml
[Reply]
poker 01:39 PM 05-12-2010
Pretty hard to go wrong with Shimano or Daiwa reels.

As far as rods, Im biased. All I have/use are Loomis sticks.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 01:41 PM 05-12-2010
Originally Posted by poker:
Pretty hard to go wrong with Shimano or Daiwa reels.

As far as rods, Im biased. All I have/use are Loomis sticks.
Loomis make some great rods!

I'm fairly biased to St. Croix.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 02:52 PM 05-12-2010
Originally Posted by blugill:

The article at Cabelas that was linked is a good place to start. I know Mitchells were mentioned, but I haven't had all that much luck with them - at least not in the spinning reel.

I guess the question is, what do you mean by "reasonably priced?" I'd say that is the $60-$100 range, and for my $$ I'd buy Shimano, hands down. Once you go past that dollar amount, there are many out there.

As for dependable sticks, the Cabela's Tourney Trail are solid and dependable with a good feel. They also have a great return policy on them. Some others I'd suggest in the mid-range are Fenwick HMX, St. Croix, and yes, Loomis are excellent sticks (but they're in another price category).

I'd say look over at Cabela's. Their prices are about average, but their customer service and response to warranty issues is second to none.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
blugill 02:55 PM 05-12-2010
Great advice so far!
[Reply]
Stogeyfish 03:09 PM 05-12-2010
Phenix rods are nice as well:

http://www.phenixrods.com/index.php
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 03:27 PM 05-12-2010
Shimano reels with St Croix rod are my choice :-)
[Reply]
thebayratt 03:45 PM 05-12-2010
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan:
Shimano reels with St Croix rod are my choice :-)
Same here! I love my Shimanos.
[Reply]
captain53 04:40 PM 05-12-2010
Mitchell was once a great made in the USA product but they are now light years behind the curve and have been for many years.

Shimano is a great choice but another less known option is an Okumo. They are very moderate priced with exceptional quality. We use them in the salt water a lot for the light tackle stuff. If looking at the heavier tackle Penn is a good choice also. Avoid the lowest end models of any of them and lean up toward the middle or better. They all make low end football pricing stuff for the mass markets.

http://www.okumafishing.com/prodhome.php

Rods: G Loomis is top shelf but way above the novice level and extremely expensive. Definitely not for the cigar at the lakeside.

St Croix is a good choice and also look at Fenwick which is my moderate priced choice. There are a lot of good rods on the market these days but you need to go somewhere that knows what they are talking about to help you. Cabelas and Bass Pro are hit or miss as to knowledge.
[Reply]
DPD6030 05:29 PM 05-12-2010
:-) on Mitchell. I bought the 308xe and my line gets caught in an area near where the bail is put together on the reel. Snaps everytime it gets caught. Emailed and called them. They said well is it missing any parts? I said, by the looks of it no, just poor quality. It would be a good reel if that didn't happen.

Don't forget the old tried and true ugly stick by Shakespear. I've had mine a long time and never breaks and always a solid rod. Of course that is when they had the lifetime warranty on them. Now I think it is 2 or 5 year warranty.

I just got a Shimano Clarus rod that has a lifetime warranty on it. I haven't had the chance to use it yet.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 05:31 PM 05-12-2010
Just buy Penn.
[Reply]
BlackDog 05:34 PM 05-12-2010
I've been very pleased with my Pflueger President reels. I have them on my ice fishing rods, and they stand up to the wear and tear of ice fishing very well. They seem to be durable, and have good drag systems. For a reel in the $60 range I think they offer excellent value.
[Reply]
Up