Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Lowes/Menards Delivery Tipping Question
smitdavi 11:09 AM 03-28-2010
Do you guys tip for delivery from retailers? We ordered two skids worth of landscaping blocks. Took about 20 minutes to unload and cost us almost $70 bucks up front. Would you tip them? I didn't but now I kind of feel guilty about not doing it.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 11:59 AM 03-28-2010
What did the driver do?
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 12:15 PM 03-28-2010
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
What did the driver do?
:-)

If he helped, I'd tip him and give him a bottle of water. If he watched, he'll get nothing.
[Reply]
okieRob 12:30 PM 03-28-2010
Maybe I'm a grumpy old fart but I wouldn't. You are paying $70 for delivery.

I'd wager most of their deliveries end up at construction sites where the contractor that ordered the stuff never tips. :-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 12:34 PM 03-28-2010
I get deliveries from Lowes all of the time. I have never tipped. In fact I have never even thought about it.
[Reply]
forgop 12:48 PM 03-28-2010
I took delivery of a refrigerator and washer/dryer I bought online with white glove
delivery. The refrigerator was a nightmare and I had to take off doors for them to get it in. They probably went above and beyond their alloyed time, but I ha no cash to give them either.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 03:19 PM 03-28-2010
I always offer a soda, sports drink or water. Most of the time the delivery people will say no, but when they are hauling stuff I figure its the least I can do. :-)

I have asked delivery persons to do move other things besides moving the object they delivered. For instance when I got a couch delivered I also asked them to move my television downstairs in front of the couch. Now it was a big screen and I was on crutches at the time (big suprise), but they obliged and I gave them $20 for about 10 minutes of extra work. I might be in the minority but I am a chronic over-tipper and I tip people for doing nothing more than their job, but maybe I feel the need to help someone for helping me. :-)
[Reply]
BlackDog 03:31 PM 03-28-2010
I've also tipped furniture guys who moved some other stuff for us. But when the guys from Menards dropped the lumber for my deck last summer I wasn't even home.
[Reply]
smitdavi 04:03 PM 03-28-2010
All he did was pick 2 skids off the truck with a lift and place them in the driveway.
[Reply]
acarr 04:05 PM 03-28-2010
I never thought about it and when I worked at Home Depot they didn't allow us to take a tip. So I don't feel bad about it one bit.
[Reply]
hotreds 05:23 PM 03-28-2010
Originally Posted by smitdavi:
All he did was pick 2 skids off the truck with a lift and place them in the driveway.
You were right not to tip. If manual labor is involved, I like to give them a ten so they can have a coupla drinks on me.
[Reply]
Up