Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>A year ago today....
jaydub13 10:12 PM 03-26-2010
I'm not really sure why, but this is just a little something I felt like sharing with the board...

A year ago today, I was coming back from a one day turn-around to Vegas(meeting up with a woman, as all bad decisions start), got delayed, and fell asleep at the wheel between Baker and Barstow. I was only asleep for a split second, but that split second was enough for me to travel off of the road. I awoke to find 3 wheels off the road, and immediately corrected, but in the soft sand of the desert, I over-corrected, and found myself moving backwards, headed across the 15. The car went off the other side of the road, and flipped end over end, landing shiny side up.

Time for a little backstory.... A week before, I was diagnosed with a blood clot in my leg, and prescribed Warfarin(blood thinners). Because of this, as soon as I regained my bearings, I got out of the vehicle, called 911, and assessed my situation. My Honda Accord was totalled, with every window but the windshield broken. Literally everything in the car but me and my phone was strewn across the dirt, and my backseat was full of broken glass and rocks. And yet, somehow, I was without a cut.

I did not walk away unscathed, however, as I had cracked a rib and punctured a lung. As it turns out, the rib that was broken had come within 1 cm of puncturing the sac around my heart.

I regularly think back to that experience, and say a silent thanks to whomever was looking down on me that day, as I know that I should not have lived through that.

I decided that I would commemorate the anniversary of my second chance by quitting cigarettes. I have been smoking for a little over 6 years now, and I don't want to be reliant on them anymore. A second chance at life deserves to be remembered by quitting something that I know can have terrible lasting consequences. I will be using Nicorette, but if anyone has any tips for me, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time, Inmates!
[Reply]
icehog3 10:22 PM 03-26-2010
Glad you are with us, Jason, and good luck with the quest to quit!
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 11:04 PM 03-26-2010
Good luck with the quitting cigs - many of us have. You just have to make up your mind and stick with it. It's not easy, but it can certainly be done. The first month or so is the hardest - then it gets easier.

Your story rang a bell with me. Nine years ago my wife flipped her Explorer on the Palmdale Road coming back from Barstow and rolled it 3 times. Thankfully she also walked away. Makes you realize just how precious life is.
[Reply]
sikk50 11:31 PM 03-26-2010
That's very lucky! I fell asleep on that same stretch heading home from vegas once, luckly my friend was watching me right as my head dropped. He drove the rest of the way.

Glad you're ok, I never got into cigs so I'm no help there but you best have had a good stogie to comemorait your second chance!
[Reply]
kelmac07 11:39 PM 03-26-2010
:-) Glad you are here brother!!
[Reply]
Eleven 11:54 PM 03-26-2010
Glad you're still with us! And good luck on quitting the smokes!

I am exactly 1 week away from my 13th anniversary of giving up cigarettes.
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:56 PM 03-26-2010
Good luck!
[Reply]
Beer Doctor 12:54 AM 03-27-2010
in the past 3 years ive had my dad lacerate his kidney and my sister shatter her arm and fracture her neck in car wrecks. Luckily both are or should be ok. good to hear your quitting cigs. Ive quit chew and cigs in my life and the best advice i can give is to go cold turkey. No cigs no nicorette no cigars for at least 6 months. Then you can smokr cigars but be careful. They can lead to relapse under alcohol influenced decisions. Its one of the hardest things youll do in your life but its definitely possible. good luck bro!
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
68TriShield 06:37 AM 03-27-2010
We are all glad you are still here Bro.

All I have is tough love for you quitting cigarettes. Like Bill said,a bunch of us here have done it and you will too.
[Reply]
mad4maduro 07:05 AM 03-27-2010
wow! thanks for sharing that, bro. Congratulations....on quitting cigarettes.....on your gratitude....on life. This was a great way to start my day. Thanks, brother.
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:33 AM 03-27-2010
Good luck man. I am glad you are still with us!
[Reply]
Up