Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Wood workers? advice needed
leasingthisspace 08:38 AM 03-16-2010
So like most in this hobby I dream of a nice looking humi someday. So I figure I am going to try and make one. I think I need to just try and make a few smaller boxes to get the whole wood working thing down before I go for something bigger.

So on to the reason for the post. Has anyone made their own box joint template? I really like the way box joints look when put together with multi layered woods. Kinda like this.

I have stated looking into making my own template but I may end up having to just buy the things they sell for doing the joints. Does anyone have and use them? Kinda like this one.
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10973

Any advice for a future wood worker?
Attached:
[Reply]
groogs 08:49 AM 03-16-2010
I have never made my own box joint template, but I do have the Leigh Dovetail jig, and I bought the box joint attachment. I am very happy with the Leigh jig, but they are a little expensive. If you only plan to do box joints I think the jig you are looking at should work fine. If you do decide to make your own jig, I think it would be easier to make a jig for the table saw rather than a router.:-)
[Reply]
shilala 09:14 AM 03-16-2010
A jig and a dado blade on the table saw would kick ass.
Run lots of test pieces before you hit your good wood, Tabb. That's where you're going to get your "feel".
Can't wait to see it!!! :-)
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 09:30 AM 03-16-2010
I guess I need to say I don't have a table saw. I have a idea of what I want the final piece to look like. I only hope I can do it right.
[Reply]
14holestogie 09:33 AM 03-16-2010
I haven't done a lot of box joints, but I would suggest cutting the "fingers" 1/4" longer than needed for any splintering that always seems to happen when I attempt it. Very easy to sand off the excess rather than trying to fix a void.
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 09:43 AM 03-16-2010
Thanks Tim.
[Reply]
kgoings 10:39 AM 03-16-2010
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace:
I guess I need to say I don't have a table saw. I have a idea of what I want the final piece to look like. I only hope I can do it right.
I have done box joints, but always with a table saw and a jig. What tools do you have?
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 10:47 AM 03-16-2010
I have a couple of hand saws, a few wood chisels, and a 1/4 in bit router. Oh yeah basic drill and sander too.
[Reply]
kgoings 11:07 AM 03-16-2010
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace:
I have a couple of hand saws, a few wood chisels, and a 1/4 in bit router. Oh yeah basic drill and sander too.
A router will work, here is a Rockler box joint jig...I love rockler jigs.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21338
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 10:54 AM 03-29-2010
So where does everyone get there plans for what they build. I have been looking for free plans but I frrl like I am getting the run around. Does anyone have a link?
[Reply]
JaKaacH 04:37 PM 03-29-2010
Measure twice---Cut once..:-)
[Reply]
captain53 04:41 PM 03-29-2010
Originally Posted by kgoings:
A router will work, here is a Rockler box joint jig...I love rockler jigs.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21338
This is far easier than the Table Saw route for joints But I am not sure how you are going to cut the pieces anywhere near square with a handsaw. :-)
[Reply]
filly 10:46 PM 03-29-2010
I've done a fair amount of wood working but wouldn't consider myself a pro and there is no way I would do those joints! lol From what I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, y'all, but those can be tricky and difficult to match up, especially if you don't have the proper equipment to make it easy. If I were you, I'd start out with simple corners and build a couple and then if it really suits you and you enjoy it, move on to the more difficult working corners. If it's a humi, it has to be perfect for the seal, etc. Just my :-)

Good luck!
[Reply]
ScottishSmoker 12:58 AM 03-30-2010
Avoid cutting off your fingers...they come in "handy"
[Reply]
Walt 04:16 AM 03-30-2010
If you don't have a table saw and want to go the free route in terms of a jig, why not try hand cut dovetails? You don't have to cut a hundred of them, two or three at each corner will be plenty strong for what you are building.
[Reply]
Up