Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>A thought on freezing and a question
Darrell 11:25 AM 03-15-2010
I was thinking about freezing some stuff and setting up a cooler for aging. I had a thought, some boxes don't fit in bags even the largest zip loc bag.

Is it ok to remove them from the box and freeze them in a bag and put them back into the box? Common sense says yes, but I figured I would ask. I don't think beetle eggs would get into the wood, but weirder stuff has happened.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 11:28 AM 03-15-2010
Yep, no worries D.
[Reply]
wayner123 11:30 AM 03-15-2010
Glad-loc press and seal is your friend. Or if you got it, a big vacuum sealer. I have also just wrapped in saran wrap a few times and had no adverse effects. I have also just taken the sticks out as in singles and froze in a freezer zip loc bag.
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 11:38 AM 03-15-2010
You know they sell a 2 gallon ziploc now.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Addiction 11:51 AM 03-15-2010
Originally Posted by Darrell:
I was thinking about freezing some stuff and setting up a cooler for aging. I had a thought, some boxes don't fit in bags even the largest zip loc bag.

Is it ok to remove them from the box and freeze them in a bag and put them back into the box? Common sense says yes, but I figured I would ask. I don't think beetle eggs would get into the wood, but weirder stuff has happened.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats how I always did it D, froze just the cigars not the box.
[Reply]
lostark374 11:51 AM 03-15-2010
http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages...x?SizeName=XXL

that should hold you.... really
[Reply]
Ferrari5180 12:17 PM 03-15-2010
Hello Darrell,

I always freeze my cigars that I buy online, regardless of the rep. I usually put them all in ziplock bags (size depends on how many cigars and bags you want), and then put them in the fridge for 24 hours. Then I move them to a freezer that is at -15 C for 5 days. I then remove them to the fridge for another 24 hours. Lastly, I let them thaw on the counter in the ziplocks for 5 hours. Good luck with your freezing bud.
[Reply]
T.G 12:26 PM 03-15-2010
It's highly unlikely, but not impossible, for a paper or cardboard box to be a source of a beetle egg. A cedar cab or SLB is going to carry an even lesser chance.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:36 PM 03-15-2010
I like to put in fridge first then freezer, back to fridge then humidor.
[Reply]
buttah 03:15 PM 03-15-2010
I had an outbreak once. I walked over to my little destop humi and saw a few little brown spots flying up and hitting the glasstop. I know this isn't the recommended method but I stuck my whole humi with the cigars in it in the freezer. I then moved them to the fridge 24 hours later and then let everything thaw and reseasoned the humi and all. Aside from the pain of getting the humi reseasoned right I saw no adverse effects. My sticks were all fine and no more outbreaks since then.

I haven't frozen anything since and don't think I will as I watch my humis like a hawk and I was able to easily catch the first outbreak.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:51 PM 03-15-2010
Originally Posted by buttah:
I had an outbreak once. I walked over to my little destop humi and saw a few little brown spots flying up and hitting the glasstop. I know this isn't the recommended method but I stuck my whole humi with the cigars in it in the freezer. I then moved them to the fridge 24 hours later and then let everything thaw and reseasoned the humi and all. Aside from the pain of getting the humi reseasoned right I saw no adverse effects. My sticks were all fine and no more outbreaks since then.

I haven't frozen anything since and don't think I will as I watch my humis like a hawk and I was able to easily catch the first outbreak.
The exact same thing happened to me 12 years ago and freezed the humidor too. Exact same outcome. The problem with desktop humidors is that they can get too humid much easier than big cabinet.

I recommend no humidity device through the summer if at all possible.
[Reply]
buttah 06:34 PM 03-15-2010
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
The problem with desktop humidors is that they can get too humid much easier than big cabinet.
I don't know. I've had the best luck with my little 50 count. Aside from that one incident, which happened in a house with no A/C in the summer time. It keeps a steady 65% year round with 4 oz of 70% heartfelt beads and a 65% heartfelt sheet.
I've had coolers and now have vinotemps and they are a constant battle the humidor just keeps on ticking away.
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 07:08 PM 03-15-2010
I used some Ziploc Large or Extra Large bags..... about 5 gallon size,
I was able to fit about 4 dress boxes or 2 cabs in each.

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages...NonFoodStorage

I double bagged each and reused them until it was all done. Fridge, Freeze, Fridge cycles.
Went through a 3 week period to freeze it all last year.
[Reply]
maverickdrinker 11:30 PM 03-15-2010
I always freeze everything. Not worth the risk of having an outbreak.

My steps are fairly similar

1) Saran wrap the SH*T out of the box
2) Into the fridge for 24 hours
3) Freezer for 3 to 5 days
4) Back into the fridge for 24 hours
5) on the counter for 4 to 6 hours
6) Into the humi it goes

Never had an outbreak yet. Hope that the streak continues.
[Reply]
Up