Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Tips On Running a Cigar Bar For Parties
Northern Lights 05:44 PM 03-03-2010
Hello all,

I recently had a bit of an entrepreneurial epiphany today that combines a hobby I am passionate about with my major in school. I would like to cater cigars at parties and events. Just like people have martini bars for hire at social events, I thought it would be pretty cool to start a cigar bar in the same niche. I realize I need to obtain a license for the retail of tobacco in bulk which I am already on top of. I live in Canada and definitely have the right demographic around me.

So I turn to you fellow smokers and retailers. I am a youngin in the cigar world and though I have sufficient knowledge of cigars and the way the industry works, I was hoping some of you more experienced could help me out and share some information. It would be much appreciated.

Happy Smokin' EH?:-)
[Reply]
Ferrari5180 05:57 PM 03-03-2010
Good luck with your endeavors fellow Canadian.
[Reply]
MortonMilo 06:09 PM 03-03-2010
Genius idea, wish there was a cigar catering company around my area!
[Reply]
GWN 06:15 PM 03-03-2010
Depending which province you live in, you may be limited to outdoor affairs. I'd say golf tournaments may be a niche you may consider exploring.
[Reply]
shilala 06:18 PM 03-03-2010
Congratulations on your new venture, Ryan!!!
What kind of information would you like the guys to share?
I immediately thought "In God we Trust, all others pay cash", but I didn't know if that's the sort of thing you're after. :-)
[Reply]
Eagle53 06:20 PM 03-03-2010
In Florida and especially Tampa and Miami you can hire a gentleman of cuban decent to handroll cigars for guests at parties. It is very entertaining for guests.
[Reply]
Kreth 06:20 PM 03-03-2010
Seems like you'd run afoul of indoor smoking bans. Do the Canadian laws allow for temporary smoking licenses?
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Bax 06:45 PM 03-03-2010
I've had a couple friends include a cigar roller at thier wedding. Might be another venue to check out. They may not let you smoke them right there, but it's a cool take home gift IMHO!
[Reply]
G G 06:51 PM 03-03-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
"In God we Trust, all others pay cash" :-)
Scott is smart.:-)
[Reply]
Northern Lights 05:45 PM 03-04-2010
Thanks for the comments so far guys. I'm taking all this into account. I'm really liking the golf tournament idea. I'm thinking that could generate a lot of good business. I have looked into laws and such today and I would have to be outdoors unless it is residential. But that's ok, we're Canadian, we always deal with the cold. Keep the ideas coming fellas. They are all appreciated.
[Reply]
captain53 06:10 PM 03-04-2010
Originally Posted by ggainey:
Scott is smart.:-)
Yep that is good advice. :-)

I don't know too much about Canadian Weddings but I have been to a couple of mega $ weddings that had cigar bars/rollers and they were a big hit.:-)
[Reply]
maninblack 06:33 PM 03-04-2010
This would be a dream job if not for those damn smoking bans.
[Reply]
Razorhog 06:41 PM 03-04-2010
Wow, what a brave idea. I think the live rolling would be a big hit at parties. You'd always want to consider your audience and choose price points to match. Also, it would be awesome to coordinate with the catering/beverage service company to make up a menu of which cigars pair up with certain food and drinks. A lot of people that buy cigars at events do it on a whim, and they might end up buying a cigar that is out of their league. My suggestion would be to arrange the cigars in sections according to strength. Each section might then be sorted according to price.
[Reply]
Up