Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Sports>Class act
Partagaspete 07:18 PM 03-02-2010
Pittsburg.

Pens ans give Miller Standing O for his GREAT play in th Olympics. Very nice!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 07:33 PM 03-02-2010
That is VERY classy. Well done, Pittsburgh! :-)
[Reply]
Sailchaser 08:09 PM 03-02-2010
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe:
That is VERY classy. Well done, Pittsburgh! :-)
:-)class act
[Reply]
icehog3 08:21 PM 03-02-2010
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:27 PM 03-02-2010
Very nice!!
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:03 PM 03-02-2010
Very nice job by the fan's in Pittsburgh.
[Reply]
mash 10:45 PM 03-02-2010
Very classy. Also speaks to the power of the Olympics. Rumours about the NHL not participating in the next Games are just the owners way of bargaining to get some money from the IOC. They turn the lights out in their rinks for 2 weeks, the IOC makes crap loads of money using their employees. I'm sure they'll work something out.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:47 PM 03-02-2010
Apparently not only did they cheer Ryan Miller, he got a louder and longer ovation than Sid the Kid.

And when they showed Sid's Medal winning goal on the big screen, the boos outweighed the cheers. As mash said above, the power of the Olympics.
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:50 PM 03-02-2010
That had to be tough for the Pittsburgh fan's. They love Sid, but that is one of those die hard Red, White & Blue cities.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:51 PM 03-02-2010
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
That had to be tough for the Pittsburgh fan's. They love Sid, but that is one of those die hard Red, White & Blue cities.
Apparently so! :-)
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 05:31 AM 03-03-2010
That is great of Pitt...and Miller deserved it :-)
[Reply]
Partagaspete 04:38 PM 03-03-2010
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner:
That is great of Pitt...and Miller deserved it :-)
Agreed...and Agreed.
[Reply]
ucla695 08:49 PM 03-03-2010
Very classy! :-)
[Reply]
mithrilG60 09:03 PM 03-03-2010
Originally Posted by mash:
Very classy. Also speaks to the power of the Olympics. Rumours about the NHL not participating in the next Games are just the owners way of bargaining to get some money from the IOC. They turn the lights out in their rinks for 2 weeks, the IOC makes crap loads of money using their employees. I'm sure they'll work something out.
If they're turning the lights off on their rinks and letting them sit idle for 2 weeks during the Olympic break (it'll be closer to 3 for Soshi 2014 due to the time zone changes) then they're simply poor businessmen and deserve to loose that money. The arenas are usually in use for trade shows, conventions, NBA teams, monster truck and motorcross, circuses, etc. while the teams are on road trips so I fail to see why the Olympic break should be any different. Just requires a little creativity.

Honestly this kind of gamesmanship really pisses me off about the NHL and North American sport in general. In every other part of the world and in all the major professional sports that they follow playing for your country is the highest honour possible and the professional club and elite leagues are what the national selectors use to pick their teams, not vice versa. Hell in the 3 biggest sports in the world (soccer, rugby and cricket) the national teams are constantly pulling the top players out in mid-season at random intervals for international test duties, and there you're talking about players that make more for playing one match than most NHL'ers make in a month (more for the top soccer players).

Quite honestly my response to Bettman and the owners associate can be perfectly summed up in 4 words: "Suck it up princess!"
[Reply]
Up