Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
View Poll Results: What do you smoke at Herfs?
Only NCs 13 9.35%
Only CCs 17 12.23%
Only HTF/Special NCs (Opus, Drac, GOF, ESG, etc.) 1 0.72%
Only HTF/Special CCs (Dunhills, Vintage sticks) 0 0%
Both regular production NCs and CCs 14 10.07%
Both HTF/Special NCs and CCs 9 6.47%
Both regular and HTF CCs and NCs (Whatever I feel like at the time) 85 61.15%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll
Page 3 of 3
< 123
All Cigar Discussion>What do you smoke at herfs?
DBall 05:34 PM 03-01-2010
I bring about 50-80 cigars broken up into 2 or 3 singles of most things I have... also, I bring out the rare/htf stuff I have. I love starting PPPs (even if it's only me contributing to it) just so people can try stuff they may not have ever had before. To me, sharing cigars and cigar experiences is the best part of smoking and collecting. :-)

Oh... forgot to answer the other part of this. It's usually all CCs, because that is 97+% of my collection
[Reply]
TripleF 05:56 PM 03-01-2010
Great topic M.J. :-)

I like to bring the harder to find sticks and use them as gifts, of course none are cc's. :-)

I smoke some of the hard to find stufff as well.

The anticipation of the herf is climaxed by enjoying the best cigar you can!!

-
[Reply]
CasaDooley 06:37 PM 03-01-2010
I pack up CC's cause it's what I like to smoke and I bring extras to pass out. If I have HTF sticks I'll bring some for PPP and if I know someone likes a certain NC and I have some buried old stock I bring em also to pass out.
I don't agonize over what to bring, I just wanna Herf with old and new friends when the opportunity arises!:-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 06:52 PM 03-01-2010
As others have said, it kinda depends on the herf. When we get together for a "regular" herf I don't really think about pulling out the HTF stuff. However, if someone says something and I have it then it is on.

For bigger herfs I will bring more and gauge what may trip my trigger or someone else's. For me it is all about smoking what I want to smoke and giving someone else what they may want to smoke be it a NC or CC.

That being said, I would have a hard time naming a smoke that wasn't enjoyable (even if it was in a negative way) in the company of my BOTL's (and SOTL's)!!
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:54 PM 03-01-2010
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
As others have said, it kinda depends on the herf. When we get together for a "regular" herf I don't really think about pulling out the HTF stuff. However, if someone says something and I have it then it is on.

For bigger herfs I will bring more and gauge what may trip my trigger or someone else's. For me it is all about smoking what I want to smoke and giving someone else what they may want to smoke be it a NC or CC.

That being said, I would have a hard time naming a smoke that wasn't enjoyable (even if it was in a negative way) in the company of my BOTL's (and SOTL's)!!
Well said Brent!! :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 08:16 PM 03-01-2010
Originally Posted by CasaDooley:
I don't agonize over what to bring, I just wanna Herf with old and new friends when the opportunity arises!:-)
Great point, Kevin....Years ago I use to spend hours trying to figure out what to bring to each herf.....Now I know that any cigar shared with or gifted by friends is just fine. :-)
[Reply]
issues 08:38 PM 03-01-2010
I try to bring a good representation of my collection and if I have some premiums or HTFs they are probably going to be coming along as well.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 08:53 PM 03-01-2010
I bring whatever it is that I want to smoke out of my humidor. So, however the mood strikes me that day is what I bring.

I will also bring some stuff to trade, or something in particular for someone I know will be there, something I know they have been wanting to try.

Also, if I have it, something special for a PPP - it may be special as in a rarity, or something special as, "it's supposedly so bad, I don't want to suffer through this alone," or maybe an extra large cigar, as I don't normally want to spend 3 hours on one stick at a herf, but passing it means I get a few puffs and it doesn't get old.

Personally though, the herf is to spend time with friends, and so my normal smokes are extra special at a herf.
[Reply]
Whee 08:55 PM 03-01-2010
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
I bring whatever it is that I want to smoke out of my humidor. So, however the mood strikes me that day is what I bring.

I will also bring some stuff to trade, or something in particular for someone I know will be there, something I know they have been wanting to try.

Also, if I have it, something special for a PPP - it may be special as in a rarity, or something special as, "it's supposedly so bad, I don't want to suffer through this alone," or maybe an extra large cigar, as I don't normally want to spend 3 hours on one stick at a herf, but passing it means I get a few puffs and it doesn't get old.

Personally though, the herf is to spend time with friends, and so my normal smokes are extra special at a herf.
Do you at least lead the herfers through the 23rd Psalm before subjecting them to that.:-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 07:31 AM 03-02-2010

Originally Posted by illinoishoosier:
Do you at least lead the herfers through the 23rd Psalm before subjecting them to that.:-)
Cute, I like that.

We have had a couple cigars at different herfs at which we did this, "misery loves company." I forget who, but there is a regular attendee at our Northwoods WI herfs who has a candela that we have decided we will PPP so taht we can all say we tried one. If one person smokes a bad cigar, they can say they've tried one - if we PPP it, then we can all say we've tried it. It also allows for discussion about specifics as to why it is so bad.
[Reply]
klipsch 08:23 AM 03-02-2010
Depends on the environment more than the size of the herf for me. My first herf last summer taught me that too much activity around me distracts me from enjoying my sticks to the fullest. I'm meeting people I've known on line for the first time. The relationships are more important to me than what I'm smoking. For me...from personal experience, lighting up something I've been looking forward to smoking is a waste. The bigger the herf, the more common the stick.

Now on the flip side of that. When I was at Vin's herf last summer, it was outdoors and it was really a relaxed environment. It was perfect smoking conditions. I would've lit anything I had been looking forward too.

With three herfs behind me now and the Nerf coming up this weekend...I'm pretty sure what I'm going to be smoking this Saturday.
[Reply]
shilala 07:15 PM 03-07-2010
Good question, MJ.
I smoke whatever. I will try to bring some odd stuff to share, whether it be puff, puff, pass or just something I want the guys to try.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 05:27 AM 03-08-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
Good question, MJ.
I smoke whatever. I will try to bring some odd stuff to share, whether it be puff, puff, pass or just something I want the guys to try.
And if he can't herf with you, he just bombs you with them so that you can take them to a herf and PPP them with others. :-)
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 06:04 AM 03-08-2010
And if he can't herf with you, he just bombs you with them so that you can take them to a herf and PPP them with others. :-)
Sharing is caring! Especially when YOU'RE the recipient! :-)

:-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 06:08 AM 03-08-2010
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
Sharing is caring! Especially when YOU'RE the recipient! :-)

:-)
I see these two from Shilala being smoked as PPPs at a future herf.
a Garcia Vega Senator from 1940, a Spanish Crook wine dipped - barrel aged 1950-1960s,
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 06:11 AM 03-08-2010
I see these two from Shilala being smoked as PPPs at a future herf.
a Garcia Vega Senator from 1940, a Spanish Crook wine dipped - barrel aged 1950-1960s,
It's excitement like this that makes me wanna herf! I'll just skip class and drive 2 1/2 hours for a smoke. lol

We should do a Punishment Pass too, like at Shack. I have a cremosa that needs smoking... lol
[Reply]
Skywalker 07:37 AM 03-08-2010
I smoke stuff I was saving for a special occasion, because a Herf is a special occasion!
Herfs are more about the people, cigars are secondary!!!

[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up