Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>A History of America in Cigar Consumption
tobii3 07:04 AM 02-27-2010
think about this....

1940:- Adult Americans smoke 2,558 cigarettes per capita a year, nearly twice the consumption of 1930.

LINK
[Reply]
Footbag 08:32 AM 02-27-2010
Very interesting, but I found two things a bit odd...
First, they referred to Pierre Salinger as a lackey. He was a press secretary and JFK's campaign manager. Not what I'd call a a lackey.
Also, they refer to 1994 as being the beginning of the dot com bubble. Bubbles don't really have a beginning. It should be referred to as the boom, and if they chose to refer to the bubble, they should point to its peak. The beginning of the bubble would be difficult to nail down.
These are two things the Economist should get right, and not be loose with the facts.
[Reply]
ProBe 08:49 AM 02-27-2010
Thanks for the article.
[Reply]
M1903A1 09:13 AM 02-27-2010
Originally Posted by Footbag:
Very interesting, but I found two things a bit odd...
First, they referred to Pierre Salinger as a lackey. He was a press secretary and JFK's campaign manager. Not what I'd call a a lackey.
Also, they refer to 1994 as being the beginning of the dot com bubble. Bubbles don't really have a beginning. It should be referred to as the boom, and if they chose to refer to the bubble, they should point to its peak. The beginning of the bubble would be difficult to nail down.
These are two things the Economist should get right, and not be loose with the facts.
Were I asked, I would have pegged the start of the dot-com bubble to 1995, when the Web was first opened up to public use and people started coming up with all kinds of gee-whiz, way-out-there ideas to profit off the new technology, which ultimately snowballed into the Bubble.

And while Salinger was Kennedy's press secretary, on that awful February day in 1962 he was nothing but a tool that JFK used for his own benefit, without telling any of his cigar-smoking friends what he was about to do. So at that moment, I'd say he was indeed a lackey.
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 10:09 AM 03-25-2010
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe:
Marvin Shanken bought them at Auction, April 23, 1996

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...22,131,00.html

Google is your friend! :-)
Another auction in 2005 for some of his cigars...

http://www.cigarenvy.com/2005/12/13/...ia-on-auction/
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up