Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>I lucked out II...it's your health...please read!!!
Neuromancer 09:17 AM 02-20-2010
There was a point to my episode and later I found out some things I didn't know from one of the guys on the pipe board www.smokersforums.co.uk as he is an EMS...

He said, "You definitely had a near-miss, though. The LAD (left anterior descending) artery is a bad one to have blocked. It supplies the most of the blood to the left ventricle, as well as the septum-the wall between the chambers of the the heart. The left ventricle is responsible for pumping blood out to the body. It needs quite a bit of blood to keep working, and a block in the LAD will quickly result in a LOT of cardiac tissue death. While no part of the heart is anything other than essential, the left ventricle is, in a sense, more essential."

I guess I really did get lucky...if I'd had a heart attack it doesn't sound like I would have survived it or if I had, I would have been in very bad shape...but seriously guys, the whole point of this thread is to get those of you that have been lax, or have any of the problems like high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, are overweight, and/or over 50 to get out and see your cardiologists, like NOW!
[Reply]
MedicCook 09:25 AM 02-20-2010
Glad things worked out for you Marc. The LAD has also been referred to as the widow maker.
[Reply]
pennjones 10:57 AM 02-20-2010
That's definitely the "widow maker." Good thing you got it taken care of. My Dad had an 85% blockage of his LAD when they found it, along with 4 other blocked arteries. He ended up having to have a CABG (coronary artery bypass graft)x5 aka "open heart" at age 52. He never saw it coming, but also never went to the doctor. He's doing ok now, but he got lucky. Get out there and exercise and get your annual checkup guys!
[Reply]
Up