Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Storage
Mr.Erskine 03:02 PM 02-12-2010
I just saw another thread that made me question my storage.

I have a small humi and so, to store my other cigars I have had to create a tupperdore, of sorts. In it, I have two cigar boxes that I keep the singles in, and I have a thing of beads that I have set, not in the boxes but outside of them inside of the tupperdore. My question is this, should I even bother with the boxes? I think if the boxes weren't in there, I could store more cigars... Oh no--slippery slope time, I know...

I have also considered breaking the boxes up, (They're inexpensive, nothing that's going to really have any value in the future,) and just using them to line the inside of my tupperdore. I could really use some advice on this, because I do NOT want my sticks to go bad, and since I am starting to get so many good ones, I don't want to be disappointed because I messed up my cigars.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:05 PM 02-12-2010
You don't need the boxes but it does sound like you need a cooler. :-) Also, you don't need to line the tupperdore.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 03:08 PM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
You don't need the boxes but it does sound like you need a cooler. :-) Also, you don't need to line the tupperdore.
:-)
[Reply]
Mr.Erskine 03:10 PM 02-12-2010
The cooler is a great idea, but the tupperdor is cheaper.. :-)
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 03:31 PM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by Mr.Erskine:
The cooler is a great idea, but the tupperdor is cheaper.. :-)
As long as it is airtight, you should be good. I have seen steri-lite containers used to store sticks. :-) They need some work to be airtight. A cooler seems to protect against temperature swings FWIW. If you can, I'd recommend a cooler. Oh, and buy a few sizes bigger than you think you'll need. :-)
[Reply]
Razorhog 03:33 PM 02-12-2010
My vote is for a Vinotemp!
[Reply]
shilala 03:51 PM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
:-)
The only thing I'd add is that everything you said is 100% okay. Boxes or not is okay. Lining the tupperdor or not is okay.
Some boxes are made out of really poor spanish cedar that smells pretty bad. If you like the way the box smells, and you want to break it up and put it in your tupperdor, that's fine, too. :-)
[Reply]
Mr.Erskine 05:01 PM 02-12-2010
Okay. Thanks for all the input. I'm still working at the accessory part of cigars. :-)... So, I'm constantly reading in these forums rather than posting, but if I can hone what I'm already doing, I want to...

Guess I'll check the seal on my tub
[Reply]
Kreth 05:42 PM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz:
I have seen steri-lite containers used to store sticks. :-)
What kind of moron would do that?

Oh wait...
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
taltos 05:57 PM 02-12-2010
Keep in mind that if you have a cabinet humidor or a cooler, the wood in the boxes help to regulate the humidity since they absorb some water and release it in dryer times. They help make the beads work better.
[Reply]
dubs chops 06:21 PM 02-12-2010
I would break one up and just put a few peices in the tuppedor and call it good, no need to line it.
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 06:44 PM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by Kreth:
What kind of moron would do that?

Oh wait...
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, and I did it. Learned a lot from that....
[Reply]
The Postman 06:59 PM 02-12-2010
I have been using Tupperware and "Click Lock" containers since I started smoking. I got some cedar pieces from cigar boxes from my local and use them in each container to help maintain the humidity. Get some crystals from Heartfelt or Cigarmony, and you will be on your way brother.
[Reply]
Up