Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Diesel unholy cocktail
Don Fernando 04:54 AM 02-05-2010
The Diesel Unholy Cocktail is a Nicaraguan cigar that only comes in a 5 x 56 torpedo. The unholy cocktail has a Pennsylvania broadleaf maduro wrapper with some veins that give it character. The cigar comes packed in cellophane and once you take it out of its coat, you can smell a mixture of wood, hay and barnyard aromas. The construction feels good and the band is simple but that's the way I like it. The predraw is just fine and leaves a cedar flavor on my palate and pepper on my lips.

I can taste a full coffee flavor with some wood. It's all spicy, not a pepper of herbal spice though. The coffee slowly turns into a mix of terroir flavors, coffee and wood. After a centimeter the wood gets a bit stronger and I can even taste some liquorices on the background although that flavor disappears after just a puff or two. The texture is quite dry.

After an inch I notice that the coffee disappears and that the wood is slowly becoming the dominant flavor. The dryness turns into a creamy texture. I also get some nutty flavors, it reminds me of almond. The flavors are very consistent. At the end I get a bit of chocolate as a supporting flavor.

I don't get Diesel fumes, but I do get a lot of medium thick smoke from this cigar and the draw is fine. I had some problems getting the cigar to burn right, but once that problem was solved the burn was great. The firm as is a bit salt & pepper colored. I would rate this full bodied, full flavored. I only get a small flame while purging, that must mean that there isn't a lot of built up of nicotine.

Now the name "Diesel Unholy Cocktail" didn't make me want to get up from my chair, run to the local B&M or pull out the creditcard and order it online, but once you get passed the name you'll find a cigar that is definitely worth smoking, especially for the price. Hell, even if they doubled the price, you would still get value for money.

Would I buy this cigar again? Hell yeah!! AJ Fernandez did it again, another cigar I highly recommend.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
[Reply]
Kreth 05:40 AM 02-05-2010
Nice review, Ferdie. I think Fernandez is the poor man's DPG. His blends are consistently good, but you can find them all pretty reasonably priced.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
issues 07:50 AM 02-05-2010
Excellent review, I love these things!!!:-)
[Reply]
G G 07:52 AM 02-05-2010
Very good Ferdie.:-)
[Reply]
NickyTeen 09:31 AM 02-05-2010
Thank for the great review! I have only had one of these and the draw was so loose i had to "sip" the unholy cocktail to keep from inhaling. Some really nice flavors in this cigar, but the loose draw was very distracting. I have another in the humi and will give it another try down the road.
[Reply]
longknocker 09:36 AM 02-05-2010
Bought A Box When They First Came Out & I Love'Em! Great Review, Ferdie!
[Reply]
captain53 09:44 AM 02-05-2010
Thanks for the excellent review! :-) I have not tried them but will pick some up on the next good CI or Cigar.com special offering on them.:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 12:44 PM 02-05-2010
Another superb review Ferdie...I LOVE these!!
[Reply]
Don Fernando 12:46 PM 02-05-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Another superb review Ferdie...I LOVE these!!
so do I, only have 2 left, gonna buy me a box as soon as I have budget again.
[Reply]
Zanaspus 01:11 PM 02-05-2010
Great review! Better than mine. No people can quit bumping mine. :-)
[Reply]
Django 01:25 PM 02-05-2010
Sound mighty tasty Ferdy.
But need to stock up on CC's first :-)

Then i will see if there is any budget left....

....and no i dont think so either :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:51 PM 02-05-2010
Great review! I just ordered a box of these and am anxiously awaiting them!
[Reply]
Mr.Erskine 08:13 PM 02-05-2010
Thanks for the review. I've been wondering about these... They look good, and I wondered. I'll get me one!
[Reply]
issues 09:20 PM 02-05-2010
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Great review! I just ordered a box of these and am anxiously awaiting them!
Nice grab!!! :-)

I had one ROTT and it was good but the first one I had was from a local B&M that had them sitting for about 6 months and it was awesome!

I'm currently sitting as long as I can on the 27 I have left if I can keep my hands out of the box.
[Reply]
Up