Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Tabak Especial Negra Robusto
Kreth 06:08 PM 02-03-2010
The nice folks at Famous included a couple of these (one robusto, one toro) in my latest order. Confirmed with CS that it was a promo and not a goof, and decided to fire one up ROTT.

Humidor time: None

Prelight: The wrapper was blotchy, with a couple of prominent veins. I seem to remember the same blotchiness on the Java, so I wonder if it's a side effect of the infusion process. Cap looked decent and this cigar has a shaggy foot. Prelight draw was easy, tasting of coffee with too much sugar, thanks in part to the sweetened cap.

Burn: The burn was fairly straight. Ash was a little flaky, but solid. Draw was easy. This was a quick smoke. I didn't nub it, but fairly close, and in only 45-50 minutes .

Flavor: This stick actually had decent flavors: coffee, and occasional notes of cocoa.

Summary: Like the Java, not something I'd smoke every day. Decent flavors, although I think it would be much better without the sweetened cap.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
G G 06:31 PM 02-03-2010
Nice review Jeff.:-)
[Reply]
bobarian 06:34 PM 02-03-2010
I have enjoyed the two of these I have smoked. I only dislike the sweetened cap. It is not nearly as strong an infused flavor as the Java or Latte. I have had the corona and robusto. The negra is not to be confused with the lighter wrapper version. I was quite surprised I liked this stick.
[Reply]
issues 10:02 PM 02-03-2010
Nice review Jeff! :-)

I too was gifted one of these sticks from my girl in November and I also enjoyed it more than I would've expected.

Not bad for an infused stick...

:-)
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 10:39 PM 02-03-2010
Originally Posted by issues:
Nice review Jeff! :-)

I too was gifted one of these sticks from my girl in November and I also enjoyed it more than I would've expected.

Not bad for an infused stick...

Exact same experience here, as well. MedicCook bombed my GF with one of these and I was pleasantly surprised.
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:41 PM 02-03-2010
Thanks for the review Jeff.
[Reply]
lenguamor 04:38 PM 01-04-2012
Found one of these (a toro Negra) in the 50%-off box at a new shop, and since I had wanted to try one but balked at the regular price (for a flavored cigar), I took it as a sign.

Very nice. The coffee fragrance was rich, and on the palate it combined with dark chocolate and vanilla flavors. Some herbal and floral impressions floated in and out the whole while.

The construction of the stick was superb.

Not something I'd want to smoke but every once in a while, but it was enjoyable.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 05:51 PM 01-04-2012
Thanks for the review! Of the infused, these are the only ones I will still smoke from time to time.
[Reply]
Taki 06:09 PM 01-04-2012
Thanks for sharing and a great review I must add :-)
When I started smoking again, I was into the Infused line up and smoke a few of these however shortly after I got away from the infused smokes and now am into the full bodies/maduros... Nice job :-)
[Reply]
CigarSquid 08:23 PM 01-04-2012
I like theses here and there in the morning with coffee.
[Reply]
BigAsh 06:56 AM 01-05-2012
I must admit....a summer morning favorite around the pool with a cup o' joe....
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:59 AM 01-05-2012
Originally Posted by BigAsh:
I must admit....a summer morning favorite around the pool with a cup o' joe....
Like riding a moped...fun to do, just don't let your friends catch you doing it. :-) :-)
[Reply]
CigarSquid 07:01 AM 01-05-2012
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Like riding a moped...fun to do, just don't let your friends catch you doing it. :-) :-)
BLAST!
:-):-)
[Reply]
BigAsh 07:23 AM 01-05-2012
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
:-) :-):-)...My brother!!
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 08:47 AM 01-05-2012
Ohhhh....I remember the days thinking these were the best things ever! Hey, it got me into smoking and I remember liking them. I almost want to smoke one just to see what I think of it now...I would think it would be so sweet, too sweet. Maybe I have one left around here somewhere...
[Reply]
dave 10:04 AM 01-05-2012
Agree with all of the above. Enjoyable flavor. Cap way too sweet. I do like an occassional Red-Eye --- still got the sweet cap, though maybe a little less than the negra and duclce -- however, these got a bit more power.
[Reply]
STEVE S 10:42 AM 01-05-2012
Thanks for the review, Jeff, nicely done. I have smoked a few of these and enjoyed them. Very good for a change of pace, or with a coffee first thing in the morning.
[Reply]
jluck 11:39 AM 01-05-2012
Thanks for the review. These sticks catch my eye every time I see them but I have not yet brought myself to try one...will have too do it!
[Reply]
Up