Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Smaller ring gauges
Razorhog 04:21 PM 01-30-2010
I've been smoking/collecting cigars for a few years now, and it seems like most of my stogies are 50+ RG. I was drawn to larger ring gauge when starting out, as it provides cooler smoke. I still love the large rg cigars, but after smoking a few with a little smaller rg, I realized that the smaller ones can be just as enjoyable - even more flavorful at times.

I have some Pepin Garcia 1952 Perlas that are 4x40 - and I really enjoy them. Now I'm thinking I should try some reasonably priced (under $3) Coronas or Lonsdales.

Any 5 packs or samplers I should look for on cbid?
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 04:30 PM 01-30-2010
If you like the 1952 you will also like the 1977. Another one I really like is the Nestor Miranda Special Selection lancero. A while back they were running them on cBid pretty often. I don't know about now.
[Reply]
captain53 06:05 PM 01-30-2010
Here is a pretty decent buy on some very nice Lancero's:

La Flor Dominicana Lancero 5 pack

$29.98
Free UPS Ground Shipping on your entire order!!

http://www.cigarmonster.com/

Good Till 9:00 ET Tonight or if it does not sell out you can get it on the Mash from 11-12:00 ET tonight.

I am not affiliated with any retailer or manufacturer just noticed this and thought you might be interested. LFD's are great smokes.
[Reply]
JJG 06:33 PM 01-30-2010
I started out buying 50+ rg smokes too. but now I'd say at least 90% of all the cigars I have are 44 rg and below. I don't even consider them smaller ring anymore, they just look normal. and the 50-52 rg cigars I have seem gigantic in comparison.
[Reply]
maninblack 06:56 PM 01-30-2010
I've always enjoyed a larger ring gauge cigar. All mine are 52 or higher and I have several 58 or 60's. It goes beyond the cool factor though. I like the flavors you get from a larger cigar and you get you money's worth. It's also sweet when people come up to you and go "Damn that's a big stogie!".
[Reply]
ChasDen 07:34 PM 01-30-2010
Originally Posted by captain53:
Here is a pretty decent buy on some very nice Lancero's:

La Flor Dominicana Lancero 5 pack

$29.98
Free UPS Ground Shipping on your entire order!!

http://www.cigarmonster.com/

Good Till 9:00 ET Tonight or if it does not sell out you can get it on the Mash from 11-12:00 ET tonight.

I am not affiliated with any retailer or manufacturer just noticed this and thought you might be interested. LFD's are great smokes.
:-) The little ones are great "quick" smokes.

I smoke a lot of the "V's", RP Vintage and anything Pepin in the smaller RG.

Chas
[Reply]
Namerifrats 12:36 AM 01-31-2010
Originally Posted by maninblack:
It's also sweet when people come up to you and go "Damn that's a big stogie!".
I prefer the larger ring gauges too. Some are a bit too big though....lol Remember seeing one on Cigarbid not long ago, seems like it was a 10x60. Can't remember the brand. I know Alec Bradley has one similar, the Maxx Ego. Like 9.2x50 I smoke some thick ring gauges, 66 being the largest so far (Nat Sherman Banker). But usually when they are above 58rg, I always look for a Robusto size or shorter.
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 09:32 AM 01-31-2010
Originally Posted by Razorhog:
... I realized that the smaller ones can be just as enjoyable - even more flavorful at times.
Any 5 packs or samplers I should look for on cbid?
May want to try the Padron Londres or Delicias. Two of my favorite NC's, and darned reasonable.
[Reply]
CigarNut 02:56 PM 01-31-2010
Guillen Cigars has some nice cigars with smaller RG's:

- Goviado Black Petite Corona (4x40)
- Goviado Blue Petite Corona (4x40)
- Reserva Miraflor Petite Corona (4x40)

You can PM Andy (AndyMadera) to find out how/where you can get some of these.
[Reply]
BlackIrish 01:20 PM 02-01-2010
Originally Posted by JJG:
I started out buying 50+ rg smokes too. but now I'd say at least 90% of all the cigars I have are 44 rg and below. I don't even consider them smaller ring anymore, they just look normal. and the 50-52 rg cigars I have seem gigantic in comparison.
Same here.

To the OP: if there are brands and blends you like, just try them in a corona/lonsdale format and see what you think.

Have fun.
[Reply]
kenstogie 01:30 PM 02-01-2010
I like the thin stuff too. Depends my mood but I certainly do.
[Reply]
Razorhog 01:51 PM 02-01-2010
Originally Posted by BlackIrish:
Same here.

To the OP: if there are brands and blends you like, just try them in a corona/lonsdale format and see what you think.

Have fun.
I think that is a splendid idea, and have looked into it a bit. I'm surprised at how many don't come in any smaller vitolas.
[Reply]
Up