Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
View Poll Results: How many of one cigar is a lot?
10 14 10.29%
25 18 13.24%
50 48 35.29%
75 10 7.35%
100 8 5.88%
More than 100 38 27.94%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll
Page 3 of 3
< 123
All Cigar Discussion>How many is a lot for you?
mikeyj23 05:57 AM 01-20-2010
If there's something I really like, or something that can be had for a good value, I'll always buy 2 of it at once. One box goes on my smoking shelf, one box goes up high to be untouched for several years. If I can't afford 2 of it at a time, I usually won't bother.
[Reply]
Lucky_Hippo 05:59 AM 01-20-2010
I smoke on average 6 to 10 cigars a week during the summer, and 4 or 5 a week in the winter . I try to fit as many different varieties of smokes into my cabinet humidor as possible so I stay away from the extra large or "unique shaped" boxes when I can. I buy a box of 20/25 of somthing and replace it when it gets low unless I'm tired of the flavor and want something different. Then the spot goes to something else. I smoke NC cigars 99% of the time and don't have to worry about extended aging on most of my stock so it works out pretty well.
[Reply]
Montano 06:25 PM 01-20-2010
I think a brazillion is too many !

Cigars and money, one can never have too much of either.
[Reply]
okieRob 06:36 PM 01-20-2010
I only smoke a few a week so a box is a lot to me. Although I can see owning a 2 or 3 boxes if I found the right deal.
[Reply]
rizzle 11:12 AM 01-21-2010
Two boxes of the same is a lot. It takes me a long time to get through a whole box of anything, so to have another box in reserve of a particular stick is a lot of them. For me.
:-)
[Reply]
njstone 11:20 AM 01-21-2010
I'd say 50 of a single cigar is a lot. I have over 50 of only a few, and that's counting multiple vitolas (and as you know, in the case of some sticks like the Tatuaje Miami, that really shouldn't even count):

Padilla 1932
Perdomo ESV
Tatuaje Havana VI
Tatuaje Miami
Tatuaje Verocu
Tatuaje Monster Series
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 11:37 AM 01-21-2010
Originally Posted by landhoney:
I think over 100+ is a lot. My thinking is that you can go through a cab of 50 in no time smoking, gifting, and trading them through the 'normal course' of events (say in a year). Having two cabs of one cigar, one to do the above with, and the other to age, is a 'good' amount.
More than that and you enter into "a lot" IMO. Not saying "a lot" is bad, it's good, but less than 100 can go very quickly. Not too many cigars I can say I have "a lot" of, wish there were more but I value variety at this point a little more than quantity (that's changing though).
I have to agree. Of the cigars I really like, I try to keep around 4 boxes/2 cabs on hand. Anything less and it goes on the reorder list - anything more is "a lot" and just surplus. Part of it has to do with short term aging, part with the fact the more I have, the longer I can wait and cherry pick the sales.
[Reply]
Cigargal 12:00 PM 01-21-2010
If money were not a consideration I would keep 2 boxes of my favs around, but I can't and don't. I have partial boxes of my favs and keep waiting for my rich uncle to die....oh, wait...no rich uncle...
[Reply]
markem 12:04 PM 01-21-2010
Originally Posted by Cigargal:
If money were not a consideration I would keep 2 boxes of my favs around, but I can't and don't. I have partial boxes of my favs and keep waiting for my rich uncle to die....oh, wait...no rich uncle...
Do like me. Every year I send a letter to Bill Gates asking if he is adopting. I'm willing to paint fences and mow the lawn. I know that he's considering it because he has never written to say 'no'. :-)
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 12:59 PM 01-21-2010
Originally Posted by Cigargal:
Rich uncles are over rated.

I actually had one years back who did die.

Left all of us squat. :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 01:22 PM 01-21-2010
There's no such thing as too many cigars, so I picked >100. Now, I just have to get the wife to believe this. :-)
[Reply]
issues 04:28 PM 01-21-2010
I say anything over 2 boxes unless they're very rare or you have a very large humidor...

I voted for 50 but 2 30-count boxes aren't bad.
[Reply]
markem 04:40 PM 01-21-2010
Originally Posted by issues:
I say anything over 2 boxes unless they're very rare or you have a very large humidor...
That's the problem, you said 'humidor' not 'humidors'

3 vinotemps, a 110 qt and 55 qt cooler in service at the moment. :-)
[Reply]
issues 04:45 PM 01-21-2010
Originally Posted by markem:
That's the problem, you said 'humidor' not 'humidors'

3 vinotemps, a 110 qt and 55 qt cooler in service at the moment. :-)
LOL, good point!

I currently have a 400ct and a 25ct to go along with a small 10ct travel one as well.
[Reply]
UPHOTO 05:31 PM 01-21-2010
I think the answers are all going to very on what you smoke.

CC compared to NC.

CC smokers are probably going to have more multiple boxes of a smoke then a NC because of the need to age a CC.

A few years on some NC cigars just changes them too much for me.
[Reply]
NeverEnoughStick 08:07 AM 01-22-2010
As many have said it varies but smoke, price, CC, NC, etc. For me you can never have to many. Although right now I am a college student so 10 - 25 is a lot based on storage capabilties and available capital. I still believe you can never have to many because if properly maintained they never go bad and can even be used as heirlooms! :-)

Just my :-)

-NES
[Reply]
pnoon 08:40 AM 01-22-2010
Originally Posted by UPHOTO:
CC smokers are probably going to have more multiple boxes of a smoke then a NC because of the need to age a CC.
I disagree on 2 points.

1 - "CC smokers are probably going to have more multiple boxes of a smoke then a NC because of the need to age a CC." Assuming there IS a need to age CCs, vintage cigars are readily available for purchase much like vintage wines. So a CC smoker would not necessarily have multiple boxes for aging.

2 - "because of the need to age a CC." Nothing could be further from the truth. Fresh (young) CCs are delightful. (So are aged ones). Most Cubans think the rest of the smoking world is nuts for aging their cigars. Cubans smoke their cigars fresh.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up