Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Discussion>Long-stemmed: Clay or wood?
ambientboy 09:57 PM 01-11-2010
So, my brother is a bit of a pipe guy and he's also a big Lord of the Rings fan. Also, his birthday is coming up in 2 weeks and I was thinking about getting him a long-stemmed pipe because every time we smoke our pipes together, he mumbles some random comment about "Old Toby, the finest weed in the South Farthing." :-)

Anyways, what're your thoughts? Clay is by far cheaper, and as a musician and grad student, I'm not loaded. BUT, wood is swankier. But I'm here to ask people's actual SMOKING preferences concerning either. Help me out?
[Reply]
JaKaacH 11:55 PM 01-11-2010
There is also a churchwarden Cob available.
http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/cobs___stems.html
[Reply]
Neuromancer 04:47 AM 01-12-2010
Don't know your budget but here's a great little churchwarden for a shade over $50...

Savinelli Churchwarden

BTW, I have about a half dozen churchwardens and they are among my favorites...
[Reply]
Curly Cut 08:16 PM 01-12-2010
as i mentioned at the KC herf, there are some called MacQueen pipes that are all wood... i'll dig up the link and edit the post.

i haven't had either a clay, all wood, or churchwarden before, so i can't comment on how well they smoke other than what others have said.

edit: yep, if he's into Lord of the Rings... this would be up his alley.
http://macqueenpipes.com/
[Reply]
ambientboy 12:29 AM 03-24-2010
I went with MacQueen, and while I'm please with the product, nowhere did they inform me that they'd be making the pipe to order, that it would take over a MONTH to create, and that it'd take more than three weeks to ship.

I don't mind being patient for a quality product, but be forthright about what the buyer is getting into... 2 months for an order of a single pipe is a little ridiculous.
[Reply]
RHNewfie 06:06 AM 03-24-2010
I feel your pain, waitint sucks! But look on the bright side... Now you didn't just get him a churchwarden, you got him a custom made churchwarden... Made to order, unique to him!
[Reply]
Neuromancer 07:17 AM 03-24-2010
Originally Posted by ambientboy:
I went with MacQueen, and while I'm please with the product, nowhere did they inform me that they'd be making the pipe to order, that it would take over a MONTH to create, and that it'd take more than three weeks to ship.

I don't mind being patient for a quality product, but be forthright about what the buyer is getting into... 2 months for an order of a single pipe is a little ridiculous.
Cancel the order and get the Savinelli...price is about the same and it's proper briar and not made out of something cheaper like cherrywood or ash...
[Reply]
Up