Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Need PDA advice
Tenor CS 08:50 AM 01-02-2010
Back in the day, I used to use a Palm Pilot to keep me organized. I liked it, it was small, fast, and synced with Outlook.

I'm going back to school, and I wanted to pick up something similar. I just checked out palm.com and it seems like all they have nowadays are phones. And their phones only work with Sprint.

I don't need a new cell phone, I have Verizon. The calendar on my phone isn't great, and I don't want to upgrade my phone just yet. For the record, my phone is a Motorola Rival.

I don't want a netbook, I already have a laptop that does whatever I need it to do. Plus, the netbooks are too expensive.

I'm looking for a device that is similar to the old Palm Pilot, for around $100-150. Doesn't need to be color screen. Any advice?
[Reply]
Thrak 09:22 AM 01-02-2010
just upgrade your phone to a blackberry\windows mobile device and have it all in 1... if you dont want to use it for internet, you can just keep the same plan you have now and use your pc to sync your data.
[Reply]
ProBe 09:28 AM 01-02-2010
If you ready want the palm Pilot i would check ebay. They dont make anything with out a phone anymore. When you do upgrade your cell phone i would look at the HTC phones verizon has them.
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 09:36 AM 01-02-2010
To me it kind of seems like the standalone PDA has kind of died. I just did a quick search and saw some for $300 or they were $20 and looked 10 years old.

Touch screen phones are pretty much what people are using for that now.

With Blackberry,Android and Iphone they're are tons of apps to get what you want and you have it in one device.
[Reply]
White97Jimmy 09:59 AM 01-02-2010
I have a Dell x50v 624mhz that I haven't used since I switched to BlackBerry. Tons of extras. PM me if you're interested and we can work something out.
[Reply]
Sailchaser 10:25 AM 01-02-2010
I got 2 palm zires if you need one pm me and mabey we can work it out to ,I am going back to school also and picket up a i pod touch thats got everything with out the plan
[Reply]
White97Jimmy 10:36 AM 01-02-2010
Originally Posted by Sailchaser:
I got 2 palm zires if you need one pm me and mabey we can work it out to ,I am going back to school also and picket up a i pod touch thats got everything with out the plan
I guess I don't have to keep looking out for any iPods for sale then?
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 10:41 AM 01-02-2010
I second the Ipod touch. I have one and you can get a **** ton of apps for whatever it is you need, and it comes with a calendar, notepad installed.
[Reply]
Thrak 11:19 AM 01-02-2010
yeah but its apple so you're forced to use their crap...
[Reply]
Tenor CS 11:40 AM 01-02-2010
Kind of looking at the iPod touch now. I will need it for Pharmacy school anyway, (don't ask) so it might just be better to bite the bullet and get it now. We'll see what the wifey says. Money is kind of tight right now because I'm unemployed. I'm trying to figure out how to do what I want with the least amount of $. Talked to Verizon, switching to a blackberry would mean I have to change my plan, and would make my bill higher. Thank you to those who offered to sell me their stuff, I will PM you if I'm interested.
[Reply]
SilverFox 11:48 AM 01-02-2010
Originally Posted by Thrak:
yeah but its apple so you're forced to use their crap...
Nope syncs fully with outlook just fine no issues contacts and calendar and the email works great if you can find a free wireless area.

If you were getting a phone too I would recommend the Iphone unless it was for business then I think that blackberry is still the way to go.

I use my Ipod Touch to manage my days almost exclusively if I wasn't tied to my contract I would probably switch my blackberry and go with an Iphone.
[Reply]
Tenor CS 11:53 AM 01-02-2010
Originally Posted by SilverFox:
I use my Ipod Touch to manage my days almost exclusively if I wasn't tied to my contract I would probably switch my blackberry and go with an Iphone.
That right there is part of the problem. From talking to my friends who all have different companies, Verizon is the best signal in this part of town. I also have about a year and a half left on a 2 year contract, so I can't leave them without paying a penalty.

We killed off the land line, so having a reliable mobile phone is very important to me.
[Reply]
RGD. 01:45 PM 01-02-2010
Originally Posted by Tenor CS:
Kind of looking at the iPod touch now. . . .
Check out the Apple Store for refurbished iPod Touch.

Apple Store

You can save a few bucks and they come with all the parts, warranties, etc just like a new one does. I've bought new and used and you can't tell a difference between them. Get a 2Gen and for $10 bucks you can upgrade the software to 3rd.

Ron
[Reply]
Thrak 03:08 PM 01-02-2010
Originally Posted by SilverFox:
Nope syncs fully with outlook just fine no issues contacts and calendar and the email works great if you can find a free wireless area.

If you were getting a phone too I would recommend the Iphone unless it was for business then I think that blackberry is still the way to go.

Not to get into a big debate but there are issues with iPhones/touches syncing to outlook, security being just one of many. (or should I say lack of)

I am our firms mobile device admin, in charge of supporting over 300 devices. So I kind of have an insight into them. The only thing I havent had lots of time with is the new Adroid 2.0 OS.

As for verizon, I dont see how they can force you to change your plan. Just tell them you dont want any mobile data. You could probably buy a device online and just call them to switch the esn. They just want more money... thats one reason I hate verizon. With TMO or ATT you could just swap your sim card and the carrier doesnt have to know.
[Reply]
SilverFox 03:42 PM 01-02-2010
Originally Posted by Thrak:
Not to get into a big debate but there are issues with iPhones/touches syncing to outlook, security being just one of many. (or should I say lack of)

I am our firms mobile device admin, in charge of supporting over 300 devices. So I kind of have an insight into them. The only thing I havent had lots of time with is the new Adroid 2.0 OS.

As for verizon, I dont see how they can force you to change your plan. Just tell them you dont want any mobile data. You could probably buy a device online and just call them to switch the esn. They just want more money... thats one reason I hate verizon. With TMO or ATT you could just swap your sim card and the carrier doesnt have to know.
Yup I would agree if we are talking a work related device that is connected to a network. My assumption is that it is a personal use device that would be directly connected to a home PC.

But I would not profess to be a security expert in the least.
[Reply]
Up