Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>As we look back on the last decade......
mrreindeer 01:41 PM 12-31-2009
Much focus, as always, when the year comes to an end, is on the prior year we've lived through, however tonight, we turn the corner into a new decade.

The Uh-Oh's (00's) have included some wonderful times for me and some horrible times for me.

In these past 10 years, I try to remember the best parts, and there sure were plenty....marrying the best girl in the world, making the transition from just working a job to finding a career I love and at which I'm good....becoming a partner at my firm where I've worked for the past 12 years....meeting wonderful friends and clients through work and online here...getting the opportunity to travel for work and pleasure to some wonderful places (even Pittsburgh, PA!...which I love, by the way)....enjoying all the awesome new technology that's popped up in the past 10 years (thank you iPod, GPS and Blackberry).....even enjoying reality shows like Jersey Shore (sigh)....moving into our current home which was owned by my father before us.....and most recently creating a life in our beautiful almost 4-month old daughter through the wonders of modern science (IVF...which wouldn't have been as accessible for us 10 years ago).

On the flipside, the worst part for me in this past decade was 9/11 when I lost 658 friends and co-workers in the attacks on the WTC. Adding to that, 3 1/2 years ago, my Dad moved out of state and I miss him a lot and my Mom is losing her mind by the minute.

Tonight, I will mostly be thankful for the wonderful parts and be celebrating the close of the most personally historic decade in my lifetime and looking forward with anxious anticipation for what the '10's will bring.

And I will be drinking a toast at midnight to my beautiful wife and daughter and to all of my friends I lost on 9/11.

God bless them and all of you, my friends and inmates.

So, what are you thinking about tonight?
[Reply]
Tombstone 01:43 PM 12-31-2009
Doesn't the decade end in 2010?
[Reply]
mrreindeer 01:46 PM 12-31-2009
Originally Posted by Tombstone:
Uh.....wait a sec, save this for next year.... :-)

Oops.

:-)
[Reply]
G G 01:52 PM 12-31-2009
Still, thanks for bringing it back down to earth for me David.:-)
[Reply]
mrreindeer 02:03 PM 12-31-2009
And 'ya know, it's no wonder...here I thought I had the upper hand and the media, for once, hadn't latched on to the 'end of the decade' craziness! Here I was going to start selling t-shirts and make a mint.

And for what it's worth...my decades are only those made by Rocky Patel and have 9 years on 'em!
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 02:19 PM 12-31-2009
Maybe so... but most think of the 70's as 1970-79 - 80's as 1980-89.

May not be technically accurate, but it seems to be the prevailing concept of time. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 04:09 PM 12-31-2009
Decade ends in a few hours in my book.

Never, ever forget. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 04:11 PM 12-31-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Decade ends in a few hours in my book.

Never, ever forget. :-)
You are correct, Admiral. On both counts.
[Reply]
Tombstone 04:31 PM 12-31-2009
No harm meant by my post. I was confused myself when the decade ends. Sorry you lost so many people close to you on 9-11. I hope you and your family have a great 2010. God Bless
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 05:08 PM 12-31-2009
Originally Posted by mrreindeer:
So, what are you thinking about tonight?
I'll be thinking about three people I loved and lost this past decade: my mom, uncle and great-aunt. It's just my brother and myself left as far as close relatives go now.

I'll also be thinking about how lucky I am to have a wonderful wife and great friends to spend this New Year's Eve with. It doesn't get any better than that. :-)

I sincerely hope everyone has a great evening (and enjoy some good cigars).
[Reply]
mrreindeer 10:35 AM 01-04-2010
Thanks Tom & Peter; hope you had a great celebration!

No harm meant by my post. I was confused myself when the decade ends. Sorry you lost so many people close to you on 9-11. I hope you and your family have a great 2010. God Bless
No worries at all. And thank you; I wish the same for you bud!

Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill:
I'll be thinking about three people I loved and lost this past decade: my mom, uncle and great-aunt. It's just my brother and myself left as far as close relatives go now.

I'll also be thinking about how lucky I am to have a wonderful wife and great friends to spend this New Year's Eve with. It doesn't get any better than that. :-)

I sincerely hope everyone has a great evening (and enjoy some good cigars).
Very sorry for your losses and I wish you and everybody else great '10's!
[Reply]
Up