Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Distilled water w/ bittering agent
ZachF88 03:06 PM 12-07-2009
Hey guys,

I had to search all over my town to find some distilled water. I have been using it for about two weeks now and I just realized that it contains a "bittering agent." Is this safe for my cigars? I'm really worried I ruined my cigars.....
[Reply]
68TriShield 03:12 PM 12-07-2009
I've never seen that. If it's common to all distilled water,I wouldn't worry about it.

Any purified (not spring) bottled water will work fine as well.
[Reply]
md4958 03:12 PM 12-07-2009
not sure why it have that in there, but I would try to search for something without
[Reply]
hotreds 03:41 PM 12-07-2009
Are you in Canada? Apparently this is put in distilled water that is used to mix anti-freeze to prevent animals(and kiddies) from drinking same because of the bitter taste. I think I'd use something else for my humi! Doubt too much harm has been caused yet, but might be a good ieea to change water! Or, just buy Boveda packs!

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/BOVEDA.html
[Reply]
md4958 03:48 PM 12-07-2009
Originally Posted by ZachF88:
Hey guys,

I had to search all over my town to find some distilled water.
Im rather surprised that your local supermarket or pharmacy/drug store wouldn't carry it.
[Reply]
SilverFox 03:50 PM 12-07-2009
I have to say that seems odd.

Bittering agents are typically added to distilled water for use in engine coolant to create a bitter taste that insures that small children or animals do not drink it.

The only other reason I can think of for bittering would be the use of something like Quinine in Tonic water (Quinine is the flavoring that gives normal soda water that tonic flavoring)

In either case I would suggest that you don't want to use that for your cigars as over time it is highly likely that bitterness will be imparted to your sticks.
[Reply]
SilverFox 03:51 PM 12-07-2009
Originally Posted by hotreds:
Are you in Canada? Apparently this is put in distilled water that is used to mix anti-freeze to prevent animals(and kiddies) from drinking same because of the bitter taste. I think I'd use something else for my humi! Doubt too much harm has been caused yet, but might be a good ieea to change water! Or, just buy Boveda packs!

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/BOVEDA.html
After 2010 it will be a requirment in the US as well so many coolant producers are ahead of the curve. Also if you purchased your distilled water at an autoparts place (either that or deionized is recommended for coolant systems) it might contain the bittering agent.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 03:53 PM 12-07-2009
Perhaps well boiled tap water will work instead? I assume it's the mold that distilled water inhibits?
[Reply]
SilverFox 03:54 PM 12-07-2009
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Perhaps well boiled tap water will work instead? I assume it's the mold that distilled water inhibits?
Nope its the chlorine and floride and other chemicals.

and boiling doesn't really help because the pure water is the steam that comes off. The chemicals remain back in the pot..........boil a pot of tap water dry and you will see calcites, and other chemicals coating the pot when it all boils away.
[Reply]
ZachF88 04:59 PM 12-07-2009
Yes, I'm located in Canada! I have checked everywhere! The only place to get distilled water up here is Canadian Tire (w/ bittering agent of course). I found this to be quite odd, since in the states, they sell distilled water in grocery stores (use to live in Houston, TX). I remember buying the distilled water by the gallons for my fish-tank back in the day.
[Reply]
SilverFox 05:12 PM 12-07-2009
Yes, I'm located in Canada! I have checked everywhere! The only place to get distilled water up here is Canadian Tire (w/ bittering agent of course). I found this to be quite odd, since in the states, they sell distilled water in grocery stores (use to live in Houston, TX). I remember buying the distilled water by the gallons for my fish-tank back in the day.
Where in Canada??

I can buy my distilled water at any grocery store.........7-11 and many other convenience stores.

Oh and if that is Auto Distilled water I recommend getting it out of your humi ASAP
[Reply]
68TriShield 05:12 PM 12-07-2009
http://www.aquafina.com/

If you can find this Pepsi product,it's purified water.
[Reply]
ZachF88 05:14 PM 12-07-2009
Originally Posted by SilverFox:
Where in Canada??

I can buy my distilled water at any grocery store.........7-11 and many other convenience stores.

Oh and if that is Auto Distilled water I recommend getting it out of your humi ASAP
Halifax, NS.....
[Reply]
Subvet642 05:29 PM 12-07-2009
Halifax, NS.....
Welcome aboard! My family came from Halifax in 1925. It's a beautiful city! I would recommend anyone to visit there if you can; they're the friendliest people in the world. :-)

End of thread hijack. :-)
[Reply]
GTCanuk 07:55 PM 12-07-2009
I'am also from Canada, Windsor ON to be exact. I was able to pickup Distilled water at Metro grocery stores. Did last week if that helps:-)
[Reply]
T.G 08:16 PM 12-07-2009
Originally Posted by SilverFox:
After 2010 it will be a requirment in the US as well so many coolant producers are ahead of the curve. Also if you purchased your distilled water at an autoparts place (either that or deionized is recommended for coolant systems) it might contain the bittering agent.
Damn, that sucks.

Coolant actually tastes pretty damn good.
[Reply]
Up