Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>LCD Screen cleaners..??
JaKaacH 06:26 PM 12-02-2009
What do you use??
Here's what my owners manual says to do for screen cleaning.."use a soft cloth moistened with diluted neutral cleaner to clean the display."

What the heck is a "neutral cleaner"?
I know what diluted means, but how much do you dilute the "neutral cleaner".

I was thinking of making a solution of distilled water and 70% isopropyl alcohol. Then use with a microfiber cloth.

Thanks
JKH
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 06:50 PM 12-02-2009
I have some Monster screen cleaner that works pretty good. Im sure windex isnt that bad in a pinch...maybe Im wrong
[Reply]
larryinlc 06:52 PM 12-02-2009
I only use a soft cloth and water. I wouldn't touch an lcd with any commercial type cleaner. The trick is don't touch your screen.:-)

Larry
[Reply]
Cigary 06:53 PM 12-02-2009
A friend of mine used ordinary cleaner on his Mitsubishi big screen LCD and you could see the streaks on it after he'd only done it a few times. After seeing that I went and googled and this is what I got,,,an ounce of prevention as they say!

LCD Cleaning Tips

Here are some helpful cleaning tips and guidelines:
Unplug or turn off your LCD screen or device and closely examine the condition of the screen.

Take notice of any smudges or areas to be cleaned.

Use a Microfiber Cloth to remove any obvious dust and gently brush off any dirt particulars.

Although you can clean any LCD screen with a 50/50 solution of distilled water/isopropyl alcohol, using
an old cotton T-shirt or handkerchief, it is recommended that you acquire the proper cleaning solutions
and cloths to clean your LCDs. Many of these LCD screens are very expensive items, proper cleaning kits
such as Klear or iKlear should be used to clean and keep your LCD displays in a crisp clear pristine condition.

Never spray any cleaning solutions directly onto the screen, spray it into the your cleaning cloth.

Very, very gently wipe the screen in a circular motion. Do not press hard on the cloth. Let the cleaning
solution do its job.

Don't press hard or touch the screen with your fingers or you may leave oily prints and smears.

Don't leave any liquid on the screen, remove all excess moisture as it may damage your screen.

Let the LCD screen dry thoroughly before you switch it back on.
[Reply]
floydp 07:00 PM 12-02-2009
The 50/50 solution is what I've been using for years without any scratching or other damage that I can see.

Originally Posted by Cigary:
A friend of mine used ordinary cleaner on his Mitsubishi big screen LCD and you could see the streaks on it after he'd only done it a few times. After seeing that I went and googled and this is what I got,,,an ounce of prevention as they say!

LCD Cleaning Tips

Here are some helpful cleaning tips and guidelines:
Unplug or turn off your LCD screen or device and closely examine the condition of the screen.

Take notice of any smudges or areas to be cleaned.

Use a Microfiber Cloth to remove any obvious dust and gently brush off any dirt particulars.

Although you can clean any LCD screen with a 50/50 solution of distilled water/isopropyl alcohol, using
an old cotton T-shirt or handkerchief, it is recommended that you acquire the proper cleaning solutions
and cloths to clean your LCDs. Many of these LCD screens are very expensive items, proper cleaning kits
such as Klear or iKlear should be used to clean and keep your LCD displays in a crisp clear pristine condition.

Never spray any cleaning solutions directly onto the screen, spray it into the your cleaning cloth.

Very, very gently wipe the screen in a circular motion. Do not press hard on the cloth. Let the cleaning
solution do its job.

Don't press hard or touch the screen with your fingers or you may leave oily prints and smears.

Don't leave any liquid on the screen, remove all excess moisture as it may damage your screen.

Let the LCD screen dry thoroughly before you switch it back on.

[Reply]
RGD. 09:40 PM 12-02-2009
I user Stoner Invisible Glass on a micro-fiber towel. Never had a single problem - my monitors are old and the screens are still perfect.

As I smoke here in my office - using plain ole water is not going to cut it. Stoner does an excellent job with no streaks or film. Big fan of most all Stoner products.

Ron
[Reply]
Skywalker 07:27 AM 12-03-2009
This is a very helpful Thread!!!

Thanks for the advice!!!
:-)
[Reply]
jmsremax 07:28 AM 12-03-2009
Originally Posted by larryinlc:
I only use a soft cloth and water. I wouldn't touch an lcd with any commercial type cleaner. The trick is don't touch your screen.:-)

Larry

:-)
[Reply]
Montano 07:29 AM 12-03-2009
Mild soap and water on a microfiber cloth has always worked great for me.
[Reply]
MikeyC 07:37 AM 12-03-2009
Originally Posted by JaKaacH:
What the heck is a "neutral cleaner"?
I know what diluted means, but how much do you dilute the "neutral cleaner".
They're referring to the pH of the cleaner. Neutral meaning not acidic and not basic but rather in the middle of the pH scale.
[Reply]
Up