Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Anyone know much about SD media cards?
forgop 08:49 AM 12-02-2009
I used a camera with a 4 GB SD media card in February. Worked fine.

In May, I used same camera with same card, seemed to work fine. However, when I read the card, the pics/video from February is fine, but the files for the pictures in May only show a red X. It lists it as a file and then shows a file size of around 180-200 KB for both periods.

I recently tried using the same SD card in a new camera and no files were written to it if that matters.

Thanks for any tips/suggestions you can provide.
[Reply]
hotreds 09:26 AM 12-02-2009
Did you take out or insert the card with the camera on by chance? This sometimes flumoxes up the card. Did you maybe not have it fully inserted? Or, the card could have simply stopped working. Could really be a number of things. There are ways to attempt recover the pix if you really want to- just google it. Not cheap as I recall.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:36 AM 12-02-2009
Sounds like the file system is screwed up. Not sure if you'll be able to save the pictures. Try copying the all the contents to your hard drive. Can you open them then?
[Reply]
Kreth 09:39 AM 12-02-2009
I'd guess the card's bad if another camera wouldn't read it. Have you tried other card readers/swapping cables, etc.?
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
jmsremax 11:00 AM 12-02-2009
Sounds like you could have accidentally reformatted the SD card.
[Reply]
kenstogie 11:16 AM 12-02-2009
This might help!!!
http://www.piriform.com/recuva
(kudos to DUNNG aka Greg a Massholian for pointing it out)

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22906
[Reply]
RGD. 03:43 PM 12-02-2009
And after you retrieve any data you can - then reformat the card in the camera. Should work good as new then. I routinely format my cards after so much use - never ever had a problem.
Keep in mind - never remove the card with the camera on - that is the cause of most problems.

Ron
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 04:21 PM 12-02-2009
Depending on the brand of the card, some offer data recovery services for free IIRC. If it's a value card, you'll be paying for those services. I was told by an employee at Nikon, that ANY camera card should be reformatted anytime it's inserted in a camera. That means no more "storing" pictures on cards you intend to reuse.
[Reply]
HichHok 03:06 AM 12-21-2009
I remember that there is some software called Advanced File Recovery, you can use it to recover your data from SD card
[Reply]
Up