Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Don Pepin Garcia black 2001
Don Fernando 03:18 AM 11-30-2009
Sorry, no pictures, I lost them during a hard disk crash before I could upload them.

This cellophane wrapped 6 x 60 cigar is the biggest in the Cuban Classic series by Don Pepin. The cigar looks pretty with the oily wrapper that had a few big veins running over it. The cigar produces a lot of barnyard aroma. The predraw is fine and gives away some pepper.

I can taste coffee and soon some sweet wood. After an inch I can also taste some herbal flavor, but where is the signature Don Pepin pepper? At a third the coffee disappears and all I can taste is the sweet wood and the herbs, but still no signature Don Pepin pepper. After the mid section the wood slowly grows stronger.

The cigar produces a lot of smoke. The draw and burn are fine, but the ash is frayed. The cigar is quite one dimensional, not bad, but not what I expect from Don Pepin, it is medium flavored and full bodied, although you don't notice the strength of the body until afterwards.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, the Toro is no match for the robusto with the same blend. And there is no signature Don Pepin pepper and spices, which is a shame, because when I decide to take a Don Pepin from the humidor, I want and expect that pepper and spice 'twang'.

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Aroma (first part) 7 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 7 / 10
Aroma (last part) 7 / 10
[Reply]
longknocker 03:33 AM 11-30-2009
Great Review, Ferdie!:-) It Always Amazes Me How Different Vitolas can Have Completely Different Flavor Profiles! The DPG CC is one of my favorites, although I've only Tried The Robusto, I Believe. Thanks Again For The Review, Brother!:-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 03:49 AM 11-30-2009
the robusto is great, my favorite vitola from the whole line, and one of my favorite cigars.
[Reply]
kelmac07 10:44 AM 11-30-2009
I love thes robustos as well...another fine review Ferdie. :-)
[Reply]
icantbejon 11:10 AM 11-30-2009
I'm going to have to check the robusto out. I don't remember the CC rocking my world.
[Reply]
roughrider 12:11 PM 11-30-2009
The Black label is a favorite of mine. Thanks for the review.
[Reply]
G G 01:13 PM 11-30-2009
Great review Ferdie.
[Reply]
Dpricenator 01:16 PM 11-30-2009
I love the Black lable. I dropped my last one this weekend and cracked the wrapper all to hell. Smoked something else instead. bummer.
[Reply]
dannysguitar 02:23 PM 11-30-2009
Originally Posted by Dpricenator:
I love the Black lable. I dropped my last one this weekend and cracked the wrapper all to hell. Smoked something else instead. bummer.
Didn't know you were here Dave!

I went to Santa Anita Race Track a couple months back and did the same ****. Dropped it and the wrapper busted. Smoked it anyway, and it was awesome!
[Reply]
Up