Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Rocky Patel Corojo Especial toro
borndead1 11:41 PM 11-25-2009
This is a budget bundle from Rocky. Online they can be had for around $2/stick but here in the People's Republik of Michigan they cost 4 bucks. :-)

The first things I notice when I remove the cello is how nice the wrapper looks and how heavy the cigar is. Solid as a rock but perfect draw. This is a very well constructed cigar.

*Side note* I've tried quite a few new cheapo cigars lately and have been amazed at how well they are rolled for such cheap sticks. I guess theoretically S-CHIP and the availability of Cubans is at least partly responsible for this. Cigar makers are having to be creative and step up their game.

First few draws are a big spice blast with a strong woodsy flavor. Not bad. After a few draws the spice calms down a bit but the wood stays.

About 1" in...wood is still dominant, with a nice simple tobacco flavor as well. The aroma of the cigar is very nice. Perfect burn and draw, really nice looking ash, almost pure white. So far so good. :-)

About 1/3 in...still quite woodsy, epsecially in the nose. A very nice soft fruit flavor on the finish. This cigar is not "strong" at all, which surprised me with a name like "Corojo Especial". Seems like most corojo-wrapped cigars these days are full-flavored ligero bombs.

About halfway...no major change. Wood/soft fruit. Nice aftertaste. As I hold the cigar between my teeth and type, the aroma coming from the foot is quite nice. The cigar is still very solid, not getting soft or burning hot. A couple minor burn corrections.

Final 1/3...some subtle flavor changes, but still a fairly one-dimensional cigar. An earthy flavor is outshining the soft fruit flavor that was present in the first half. Let 'er die around 2".

Final thoughts: Not a bad smoke...at the internet price. At the B&M price? Meh, I probably won't get any more.

:-)
[Reply]
roughrider 01:59 AM 11-26-2009
Thanks for the review.
[Reply]
Up