Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>"true" maduros
JJG 12:01 AM 11-08-2009
all this maduro discussion lately got me thinking, have I ever had a true maduro wrapped cigar?

I started a thread a few weeks ago concerning the use of dye and found that dyed and cooked wrappers are actually very common, and all the major cigar manufacturers utilize one or both of these techniques.

so I guess my question is, if I wanted to try a maduro that wasn't cooked or dyed, where would I go? Are they just a myth?
[Reply]
bobarian 12:32 AM 11-08-2009
"Cooking" or heat fermentation is done to speed the process to my understanding.
"Dying" is done for color consistency only and does not affect flavor or taste.

I am not sure if even the Cuban Cohiba Maduro is a completely naturally fermented wrapper.
[Reply]
Fumes 12:45 AM 11-08-2009
Padron maduro. It's hard to tell the difference between the natural and maduro because the natural is sun grown and the maduro is completely, well, natural. The wrapper shades are really close. But the difference in the flavor is obvious.
[Reply]
gbum 05:13 AM 11-08-2009
Originally Posted by Fumes:
Padron maduro. It's hard to tell the difference between the natural and maduro because the natural is sun grown and the maduro is completely, well, natural. The wrapper shades are really close. But the difference in the flavor is obvious.
:-)
sometimes i'm even can't tell which one is maduro or not,until i saw the label..
[Reply]
SmokinApe 05:18 AM 11-08-2009
Padron is the only manufacturer the a think doesn't do something fishy....
[Reply]
TripleF 06:41 AM 11-08-2009
I believe Oliva triple ferments for a maduro wrapper.
[Reply]
JJG 09:36 AM 11-08-2009
interesting, that makes sense though. The maduros in their regular line don't have unnaturally dark or oily wrappers. I wonder about the 64s and 26s though. I think it was a 26 that originally sparked my interest in the subject. They just look a little too dark sometimes and it made me curious. not that I really care, I don't smoke many maduros anyway. but the maduro 26s do look much darker than the regular line.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:47 AM 11-08-2009
Originally Posted by JJG:
interesting, that makes sense though. The maduros in their regular line don't have unnaturally dark or oily wrappers. I wonder about the 64s and 26s though. I think it was a 26 that originally sparked my interest in the subject. They just look a little too dark sometimes and it made me curious. not that I really care, I don't smoke many maduros anyway. but the maduro 26s do look much darker than the regular line.
I would have to agree with you. The oiliest cigar I;ve ever seen (aside from those dripping of vaseline in JR's) was the Padron 80th Maduro. I thought I was goign to break out if I rubbed that thing on my face! :-)
[Reply]
bookman 10:06 AM 11-08-2009
My favorite maduro is the LGC Wavell. Is that a "true" maduro?
[Reply]
pmwz 10:44 AM 11-08-2009
cigars are sorted by wrapper colour. claro, maduro,oscuro...are all just color classifacations.
the manafactures use "special" fermentation processes to get the dark color. some wrappers are more suited for the fermentation process like the conneticut broadleaf.
[Reply]
duckmanco 12:08 PM 11-08-2009
I think the 601 BP maduro also falls under this category.
[Reply]
bobarian 06:36 PM 11-08-2009
The King of Maduros. Camacho Triple Maduro. :-)
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 08:58 PM 11-08-2009
I know that CAO dyes some of their maduro wrappers. The stains on my fingers and lips were proof enough for me. I haven't had fuentes do that, so at most fuentes "cook" their wrappers, but I don't know that for sure.
[Reply]
gbum 09:18 PM 11-08-2009
Originally Posted by sauer grapes:
i know that cao dyes some of their maduro wrappers. The stains on my fingers and lips were proof enough for me. I haven't had fuentes do that, so at most fuentes "cook" their wrappers, but i don't know that for sure.
fail
[Reply]
JJG 09:30 PM 11-08-2009
heated fermentation doesn't bother me, just the dying. I know it's harmless, but the whole idea is just really unappealing to me.
[Reply]
Starscream 09:43 PM 11-08-2009
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
I know that CAO dyes some of their maduro wrappers. The stains on my fingers and lips were proof enough for me. I haven't had fuentes do that, so at most fuentes "cook" their wrappers, but I don't know that for sure.
Originally Posted by gbum:
fail
Fail? Are you referring to the CAO or the Fuente?
[Reply]
gbum 11:55 PM 11-08-2009
dyes usage
[Reply]
Up