Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>What's this bad flavor I'm experiencing...
gnarly 11:33 AM 11-07-2009
On almost all mild cigars and some medium, I pick up a sickening flavor once I am about 2/3 through the stick. The cigar will taste fine up until this point. It was most prevalent in a RP Connecticut I had a few nights ago, but it's also been present in an El Mayor Emerald, Gurkha Symphony, and CAO Gold. I wouldn't describe it as bitterness, but it makes me nauseous. I've had cigars make me feel sick/light headed, but that was due to my inexperience and not the flavor of the cigar.

I might try smoking another mild cigar tonight so I can explain the flavor better.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Wyatt
[Reply]
htown 11:39 AM 11-07-2009
Do you purge?
[Reply]
md4958 11:40 AM 11-07-2009
Yup, thats the nicotine. Try smoking slower, or eat something before you smoke.

If you feel nausea try spreading some sugar on your tongue... i know it sounds weird but it works. A sugary drink like cola will work too, but the sugar works faster for me.

Thanks goes out to Bao for introducing me to this method

edit: just re-read your original post, and I realize that the nausea you are feeling is from the flavor and not the nicotine. The bad flavor is from the tar build up in those cigars. Try purging as mentioned above, basically blow through the cigar when you get to that area. You should experience some refreshing of the flavor.
[Reply]
kelmac07 11:43 AM 11-07-2009
I drink a Diet Pepsi and gets that flavor out. :-)
[Reply]
gnarly 12:05 PM 11-07-2009
I did not know about purging. Thanks for the helpful advice. Now I'm very eager to go back and try these condemned sticks.
[Reply]
Santesyu 12:06 PM 11-07-2009
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
I drink a Diet Pepsi and gets that flavor out. :-)
well I say drinking anything would help, but also smoke slower don't rush it..
[Reply]
massphatness 12:08 PM 11-07-2009
It's beetle poo. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
borndead1 12:09 PM 11-07-2009
As tobacco ferments, it releases ammonia. Tasting ammonia is quite common, especially in "fresh" cigars, or cigars with a lot of ligero tobacco in them, as ligero takes much longer to ferment than the viso and seco leaves of the tobacco plant.

Smoking too fast/drawing too hard can also make a cigar taste nasty.

A cigar that is too moist can also taste nasty. I shoot for 62-65% humidity in my humidors.

If I get a cigar that tastes nasty like that, I take the rest of them (5 pack, box, etc.) and let them sit for a few months in the humi. It usually does the trick.
[Reply]
Jbailey 12:29 PM 11-07-2009
My favorite drink at the shop when I smoked was Boylans creme soda.

I would also agree on the purging to help out.
[Reply]
Uflbassin 12:35 PM 11-07-2009
Purging and Dr. Pepper. :-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 01:05 PM 11-07-2009
I get cardboard from alot of mild Connecticut wrapped cigars including the ones you mentioned. Makes me sick thinking about it, horrible flavor. Try a different wrapped cigar or if you go mild, go with a Casa Torano. Maybe Connies are not for you.
[Reply]
yourchoice 01:16 PM 11-07-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
I get cardboard from alot of mild Connecticut wrapped cigars including the ones you mentioned.
I agree. Sounds like the evil cardboard flavor which truly is disgusting. Had a Gurkha Vintage once that was even worse...2 day old, oily cardboard pizza box (sans cheese). :-)
[Reply]
ZenSilk 02:11 PM 11-07-2009
The connecticut wrappers lend my palate some truly odd flavors as well, but the "clean" sticks, as I call them - the connies with out the ammonia/cardboard/plastic flavor- are mighty tasty, like the oliva connecticut and these ybor city bundle cigars I was sent from an uncle in Florida. I love a good connie, but had a very hard time finding a good connie.
[Reply]
Namerifrats 08:37 PM 11-07-2009
Nicotine is what has made me feel that way in the past. Never smoke a full bodied smoke on an empty stomach. Last one that really made me sway was a Montecristo Platinum. Didn't have much to eat within 3-4 hours before lighting up. Made me sway a good bit, a good cigar though.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:19 AM 11-08-2009
Originally Posted by massphatness:
It's beetle poo. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for that visual -- you are restricted to Swisher Sweets for 30 days!
[Reply]
Up