Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Sports>Any Hope for Small Market Baseball Teams?
PeteSB75 11:40 AM 11-09-2009
Honestly, all the salary cap really does is expose those teams with bad upper management.

Take the Yankees since Steinbrenner bought the team. Always been big spenders, but not always winners. He had some initial success, building on the core of players there when he bought the team, but then years of futility, until he got himself a real management team and the Yankees had a very good run in the 90s. Some hiccups in the 00, but they've been in the playoffs all but one year. I would consider that a successful franchise.

Similar story with the Red Sox. After John Henry bought the team in 2002, the farm system was substantially revived, and the team started making much better decisions, substantially improving the outlook of the team. Again, since 2002, they missed the playoffs only one year. It's also arguable whether the Red Sox are a large-market team, with Boston proper having just over 600k people.

So, I guess my point is that money helps, but there is no substitute for good organization management.
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 11:42 AM 11-09-2009
Originally Posted by :
Hell it would make more sense to go with an NFL like program because then small market teams have a chance at winning the WS and filling seats and they still get their checks from profit sharing.
Thats where baseball and football are different. The Marlins have two WS series championships and teams that always compete and never fill seats. A salary cap ain't gonna change that. Same goes for the Rays, they won the ALCS last year and went all the way to the WS and attendance didn't change one bit. Having a winning team doesn't guarantee filling seats, small markets just don't have the same fan base. Football and Baseball are different :-)

I'm sure if we started seeing more Brewers vs Royals WS baseball would readily catapult itself back into the biggest sport in America :-)
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 11:42 AM 11-09-2009
Originally Posted by PeteSB75:
So, I guess my point is that money helps, but there is no substitute for good organization management.
:-) Yep! :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 12:44 PM 11-09-2009
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty:
The Marlins have two WS series championships and teams that always compete and never fill seats.
That's when someone with some brains needs to relocate to a town that is more baseball friendly. Charlotte and Nashville would probably be more baseball friendly towns that would fill up seats. Both towns have expressed interest in MLB teams over the years. I remember Charlotte wanted to bring the Twins organization down South not too long ago.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up