Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Apologies & A Question about Cigar Clipping
Temp 09:50 AM 11-05-2009
Apologies for dropping in like this.

I am not a cigar smoker. But I have a question about cigar smoking so this seemed a good place to ask.

Is it normal behavior for someone else to clip your cigars for you by their mouth? How about if that person is your assistant / servant / staff at a club -- would they clip your cigar for you with their mouth then?

I don't think that is the usual practice. Other people I'm discussing this with seem to think that is a perfectly normal thing for an employee to do for an employer. One person mentioned that a rich person who smokes cigars would have servants doing that for him. (While I think any servant / assistant / employee who clips his boss' cigars would use a cutter.)

The discussion has come up from a scene on a TV show. The boss is a male. The assistant is a beautiful young female. The owner of the house tosses a cigar to the male boss. He does not hand the cigar over to the assistant. Instead she takes it from his hand. Then she proceeds to put the cigar in her mouth, clip it and hand it back to him. Then he puts it in his mouth and smokes it.

I say that has sexual connotations especially as the female assistant has no issues with being naked around her boss.

Almost everyone else thinks that this is a normal way to clip a cigar and it means nothing. But none of us smoke cigars, so I'm asking people who do.

By the way, if anyone wants to view the scene and you live in the US, you can watch it here. It's a very quick scene and starts at 17 minutes 20 seconds.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/1777/airwo...e-hawke-part-1
[Reply]
Kreth 09:55 AM 11-05-2009
The normal practice is to use a cutter or punch. If a cigar has a tightly rolled pigtail at the head, I'll just bite that off in lieu of cutting. But no, it is not common to have someone else bite the cap off your cigar. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
hotreds 09:57 AM 11-05-2009
No
[Reply]
slickster81 10:04 AM 11-05-2009
I guess it may have been acceptable back in the 80's when Airwolf was filmed....

But I would give my :-) and say it isn't acceptable other than in the pigtail situation, and I generally clip them too. Ruins the head of the cigar 90% of the time for one, wrapper unravels...cigar becomes a disaster.
[Reply]
Footbag 10:05 AM 11-05-2009
Nope... In fact there is a lost art of having a cigar lit for you. It should be clipped, using a tool, and then a match flame should be held to the foot of the cigar while slowly rotating. After the cigar has begun to burn the lighter may actually chose to swing his arm while a bit of air passes through the cigar causing it to burn and straiten out.

I've never had a cigar lit for me like this, and as I understand it, very few people even know about it. But it seems cool. If I ever have the opportunity, I'll give it a shot.

Edit: I was actually searching for a video of this method and cannot find one. I believe the do it or did it in the Hotel Nacional, but am not finding it. IT's an interesting method nonetheless.
[Reply]
ZenSilk 10:20 AM 11-05-2009
WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT!

You mean to say that you guys DON'T live on a Villa in Spain and have gorgeous women biting the heads off your cigars??
[Reply]
slickster81 10:51 AM 11-05-2009
Originally Posted by ZenSilk:

You mean to say that you guys DON'T live on a Villa in Spain and have gorgeous women biting the heads off your cigars??
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
bobarian 11:07 AM 11-05-2009
It was a TV show. In real life, I got one word for you, HERPES.
[Reply]
Blueface 12:11 PM 11-05-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Worse yet.......if they are not good at it (dad can do that better than a cutter), they will ruin the cigar and the wrapper. I can handle herpes. Tough to deal with an unraveling cigar.:-)
[Reply]
bobarian 12:14 PM 11-05-2009
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Worse yet.......if they are not good at it (dad can do that better than a cutter), they will ruin the cigar and the wrapper. I can handle herpes. Tough to deal with an unraveling cigar.:-)
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Footbag 12:27 PM 11-05-2009
Originally Posted by volfan:
Actually at CA there is a video for the 3 match light BEFORE the cigar is cut/clipped. That method does work and it works very well if you have the patience to do it correctly.
This is a different method where the waiter or "cigar expert" clips and lights the cigar for you without actually touching it to his lips. The coolest part is when he's waving his arm around. Must truly be a lost art.
[Reply]
thebiglebowski 12:35 PM 11-05-2009
the heck ya talkin' about?!
[Reply]
Starscream 12:40 PM 11-05-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:
:-):-)
Originally Posted by Blueface:
:-)
[Reply]
wrench turner 85 12:51 PM 11-05-2009
Originally Posted by ZenSilk:

not all the time, only when am drunk. :-)
[Reply]
SmokinApe 12:55 PM 11-05-2009
I'd let her bite it....
[Reply]
icehog3 01:16 PM 11-05-2009
I'm only scarred about the face, breast, chest, neck, and head area.
[Reply]
poker 01:32 PM 11-05-2009
Is it "normal" behavior? I think no.
Does it happen in real life? Probably, to some small degree.
[Reply]
dunng 01:43 PM 11-05-2009
Airwolf!

[Reply]
Temp 08:37 AM 11-06-2009
Thank you very much for all the replies! (And I see there's at least one Airwolf fan on here.) I knew it was patently ridiculous. But, if you can believe it, I was the only one. Everyone else thought that's how it's done and no matter how many times I said it wasn't, they wouldn't believe me -- of course, clipping a cigar like that is simply what a loyal employee does for the boss. Ridiculous. Now I can go back to the discussion with this is what people who do smoke cigars say about the notion.
[Reply]
Up