Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>B&M job?
cigarmonkel 04:49 PM 11-04-2009
Not sure if this is the right place for this thread, if it isn't im sorry mods don't hate me!

So i really want to find a job at a local B&M. Hard part is, they don't need much help around the shop i would assume. So my question is, what would be the best way of doing this and getting a job at a B&M?
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 04:54 PM 11-04-2009
Just like any other job, tell them you have knowledge of the product and ask if they need any help.
[Reply]
ZenSilk 04:55 PM 11-04-2009
If I was looking for someone to work in a tobacconist store I own, I would personally look for friendliness, people skills, and a pretty respectable knowledge base.

As someone looking for a job I would most certainly have a resume on hand.
[Reply]
Skywalker 04:55 PM 11-04-2009
Ryan, I read this three times and I'm still like :-)!!!

You want a job... but they don't need you... how do you do what and get a job at the B&M???

Looks like others have given good advise!!!

[Reply]
cigarmonkel 05:05 PM 11-04-2009
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
Ryan, I read this three times and I'm still like :-)!!!

You want a job... but they don't need you... how do you do what and get a job at the B&M???

Looks like others have given good advise!!!
I'm just assuming they don't need an extra hand since B&M's are so small usually.
[Reply]
ZenSilk 05:12 PM 11-04-2009
You can always become a regular and try to sneak on into the staff over time. :-)
[Reply]
Darrell 05:13 PM 11-04-2009
Originally Posted by ZenSilk:
You can always become a regular and try to sneak on into the staff over time. :-)
:-)

That's what I did.
[Reply]
Jbailey 05:25 PM 11-04-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
:-)

That's what I did.
Worked for me too! :-)
[Reply]
str8edg 05:31 PM 11-04-2009
I would try that route... worst case, you get in with them all and get "friendly" prices!!
[Reply]
JJG 05:43 PM 11-04-2009
this is what I was going to recommend. I've been thinking about approaching the owner of my neighborhood shop to offer my knowledge and friendly demeanor on the weekends. not really because I want extra money, but just because I enjoy talking about cigars. hell, I'd work there just for the fun of it. I always end up making recommendations and selling cigars for them whenever I'm in their shop anyway.
[Reply]
ZenSilk 06:50 PM 11-04-2009
Damn, you sound like my clone!
[Reply]
BigFrank 06:51 PM 11-04-2009
Best route.
[Reply]
Toasted Coastie 06:55 PM 11-04-2009
that's my plan as well. I don't need a job, and the wif probably won't let me, but I would love to work there at least 1 night a week...
[Reply]
poriggity 06:56 PM 11-04-2009
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
Best route.
Yup, thats what I did. I had to stop "working" there unfortunately, as time just didn't allow. But, I still get "staff" pricing :-)
Scott
[Reply]
cigarmonkel 07:03 PM 11-04-2009
awesome thanks for all the replies and help guys!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:34 PM 11-04-2009
How many shops are within your commuting range?

You could offer a reduced rate of employment as hook to get you in. My hunch is most places are not active looking for people due to the economy. A good guy willing to work cheap is a good prospect rather than someone that knows it all and wants their worth.

Others have mention the general skills and aptitude required.
[Reply]
covetry 07:54 PM 11-04-2009
If I ever lose my job, thats the first place I'm going to look for a job... a cigar bar.
[Reply]
Up