Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Camacho black band B (Corojo robusto)
Don Fernando 08:39 AM 11-04-2009
Some time ago, Camacho cigars made a viral advertising campaign called ‘the black band project’ that was supposed to take care of all the prejudice there is about Cuban cigars versus Non Cuban cigars. Everybody, well, almost everybody as the demand was bigger than Camacho expected and there were problems with the shipping, that signed up and watched the video’s got 3 cigars for free.

The “B” cigar in the package turned out to be the Honduran puro Camacho corojo in a 5 x 50 robusto size, or as Camacho likes to call it, the Monarca. The wrapper is smooth, dark and oily and the construction feels good, especially compared to the Black Band A (Camacho Connecticut) that I smoked earlier. The predraw is fine and I get some wood and raisin from the predraw.

I can taste a mild bitter coffee with a peppery aftertaste in the back of my throat, although the pepper disappears soon. The bitterness disappears too and is replaced by some mild chocolate. All the flavors lose some of their strength.

After about an inch I can taste nothing, all the flavors are gone until a mild chocolate shows up again and the chocolate brings his buddy hay to the party too. The texture of the flavors is creamy. At 2/3rd the flavors gain some power and get a bit creamier. Some spices show up too. At the end I can also taste some pepper and nuts.

This cigar lasted me 90 minutes. For 90 minutes I had lots of medium thick smoke, firm silver gray ash. The burn was a bit off, but I never had to correct it. This is a medium flavored full bodied cigar.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, this was a nice cigar but nothing more than that.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Aroma (first part) 7 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 6 / 10
Aroma (last part) 7 / 10
[Reply]
weak_link 10:53 PM 11-04-2009
Interesting review. I've smoked a couple boxes of these and enjoyed them quite a bit.
[Reply]
Ratters 12:07 AM 11-05-2009
:-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 05:51 PM 05-18-2010
Ferdinand, I thought your review was spot on. I didn't really enjoy this cigar. I wouldn't buy another one.
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:27 PM 05-18-2010
Maybe I should be glad I missed out on these. Thanks for the review Ferdie.
[Reply]
elderboy02 09:06 PM 05-18-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Maybe I should be glad I missed out on these. Thanks for the review Ferdie.
I have high hopes for the "C" cigar which is the Triple Maduro. I think I have had one before and I think I like it.
[Reply]
Up