Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Diet Soda, Bust?
BigFrank 08:01 AM 10-29-2009
Saw this interesting research article. I know a lot of guys drink diet soda ( myself included )
Worth a read.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ed-weight-gain
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:03 AM 10-29-2009
Very interesting....
[Reply]
croatan 08:20 AM 10-29-2009
At least now I know why I'm fat. It's not the six pack of beers a night, it's the six pack of Pepsi One a day! Clearly, the only solution is to drink beer all day. Time to move the extra kegerator into the office...
[Reply]
JE3146 08:56 AM 10-29-2009
I'm fairly convinced there is going to be something wrong with anything...
[Reply]
Pilon 09:01 AM 10-29-2009
A friend was just talking about this a few weeks ago. Makes sense.
[Reply]
Blueface 09:27 AM 10-29-2009
Wow!
Interesting.
I need to lay off my Diet Coke.
[Reply]
Kreth 09:38 AM 10-29-2009
I haven't found a diet soda yet that I like the taste of...
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
sodomanaz 09:49 AM 10-29-2009
Well, to be fair it's pretty old news. Hell, at one time sugar (of all things) was pushed for diets as it was believed to regulate your appetite.

Here's an old ad: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sa_stev...7606389427177/

So basically, drink your diet sodas, just don't cram shitloads of food into your gullet on top of it and think you're doing yourself a favor. :-)
[Reply]
acarr 09:52 AM 10-29-2009
Just stick to the sugary stuff you will be fine
[Reply]
hotreds 10:09 AM 10-29-2009
Originally Posted by sodomanaz:
So basically, drink your diet sodas, just don't cram shitloads of food into your gullet on top of it and think you're doing yourself a favor. :-)
Exactly! The body DOES respond to caloric intake, and if you drink diet soda you are saving about 200 calories or so a can. But, that does not allow you to have a triple cheesburger with mega fries to make up for it!

Then again, some of the artificial sweetners make one wonder....
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 10:43 AM 10-29-2009
Originally Posted by croatan:
At least now I know why I'm fat. It's not the six pack of beers a night, it's the six pack of Pepsi One a day! Clearly, the only solution is to drink beer all day. Time to move the extra kegerator into the office...
Flawless logic! I wholeheartedly agree... :-)

And think about it... most of the people I see drinking diet sodas are overweight. Coincidence? I think not. :-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 10:45 AM 10-29-2009
Originally Posted by Kreth:
I haven't found a diet soda yet that I like the taste of...
Posted via Mobile Device
:-)

I had to lay of the real stuff from my nutrician (real stuff = European recipy of Coca Cola, which is different from the US recipy), tried some diet sodas but didn't like any of them, so I drink water and fruit juice now.
[Reply]
Darrell 10:47 AM 10-29-2009
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
:-)

I had to lay of the real stuff from my nutrician (real stuff = European recipy of Coca Cola, which is different from the US recipy), tried some diet sodas but didn't like any of them, so I drink water and fruit juice now.
You don't want to drink too much fruit juice, Ferdie. I don't know about European juice but in the U.S.A. it has more sugar than soda!
[Reply]
Don Fernando 10:50 AM 10-29-2009
The fruitjuice I buy is fruit juice without additional suger. But I bought a fruit juicer last week, so now I make my own homemade juice.
[Reply]
Darrell 10:51 AM 10-29-2009
The fruitjuice I buy is fruit juice without additional suger. But I bought a fruit juicer last week, so now I make my own homemade juice.
OK, I was just looking out for you. 99% of people never look at the label of juice because we have throughout our lives had "juice = healthy" pounded into our heads. :-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 10:56 AM 10-29-2009
Ever since I am working with this nutrician, reading labels became a 2nd nature. And sometimes the labels scare my shitless, the amount of calories in peanuts for example, damn! And what a lie "peanutbutter light" is, there is hardly a difference with normal peanutbutter.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:43 PM 10-29-2009
Ever since I am working with this nutrician, reading labels became a 2nd nature. And sometimes the labels scare my shitless, the amount of calories in peanuts for example, damn! And what a lie "peanutbutter light" is, there is hardly a difference with normal peanutbutter.
It's all about counting calories. Simple math of energy consumed, energy used. You are a stong soul if you can do it!
[Reply]
BigFrank 01:50 PM 10-29-2009
A calorie isnt a calorie. Big mistake. Quality should come first compared to quantity. Natural peanut butter should be a staple in everyones diet.
[Reply]
Up