Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Special cigar question...
str8edg 09:56 PM 10-28-2009
So I have a reason to buy some cigars for a special occasion soon BUT I am a little confused. OK here goes.

Lets say I have a special day coming up, lets say it's in March. So I was thinking I would get some cigars that have a box date of March 2010. BUT when do they come out? I can get some March 2009 now and it is Oct!! Do I have to wait that long next year?

What would you guys do?

Maybe just get some 2010 LE's??

Ideas, thoughts??
[Reply]
Slavac 11:20 PM 10-28-2009
I've read what you wrote 3 times and I still have no idea what you're talking about.
[Reply]
Lobo 11:33 PM 10-28-2009
I dont know if I understand what you wrote but if you want cigars with a boxe date of march 2010 then they will be available in march of 2010. I think thats what you asked........I think...
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 11:54 PM 10-28-2009
My guess is the box gets filled at the factory and date stamped on the bottom. Then there is the journey from the factory to the distributor (unless it is a direct ship from the factory to the dealer), and then from the distributor to the dealers humi warehouse.

So, would 3 to 4 months post factory stamp be a fair statement to make that a box stamped "March 2010" at the factory would be available for sale to the public?

Just my :-):-)

[Reply]
bobarian 12:11 AM 10-29-2009
The date on the box is not what makes a cigar special. Its a combination of the cigar and the event that creates a memory. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 12:16 AM 10-29-2009
Like Mark said, it will likely be several months after March 2010 before you will find boxes with a MAR10 boxcode. Buy a special single to smoke in March 2010, then get your MAR10 box later in the year.
[Reply]
kayaker 12:17 AM 10-29-2009
Originally Posted by str8edg:
So I have a reason to buy some cigars for a special occasion soon BUT I am a little confused. OK here goes.

Lets say I have a special day coming up, lets say it's in March. So I was thinking I would get some cigars that have a box date of March 2010. BUT when do they come out? I can get some March 2009 now and it is Oct!! Do I have to wait that long next year?

What would you guys do?

Maybe just get some 2010 LE's??

Ideas, thoughts??
I'd say contact a supplier and ask if they can tell you when they get their Mar 2010s. Maybe you could get the specific marca you are interested in.

If you want to start smoking them on your special day, I'd get the ones that will already have a year on them.

Otherwise it will depend on how quickly your supplier updates their stock.
[Reply]
str8edg 06:58 AM 10-29-2009
Thanks guys...

ya, I read my OP again and I don't know what I said either!!

So I have an answer to the box code question.

Let me ask another question.

If you were to decide on an Anniversary cigar, would you want it to be dated the same month (box code) or would you want a LE dated for the year? Maybe both?

Sorry to be so cryptic guys.
[Reply]
Footbag 08:55 AM 10-29-2009
Thanks guys...

If you were to decide on an Anniversary cigar, would you want it to be dated the same month (box code) or would you want a LE dated for the year? Maybe both?

Well that's an easy choice... Both! :-)
[Reply]
croatan 08:57 AM 10-29-2009
Thanks guys...

I'm not a big LE fan, so I'd go with something either relatively special or that I just really liked with that box date.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 08:58 AM 10-29-2009
I'd go both, as it makes it more special. That way you have the '10 LE from MAR'10. That'd be cool! :-)
[Reply]
K Baz 09:02 AM 10-29-2009
Personally I went with a uber cigar.

For my special day/date I bought 25 of the best cigars I could get.

I figured rather then have the box dated the same as the date I would buy cigars that would help me enjoy and mark the day in the fashion it deserved.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:31 AM 10-29-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:
The date on the box is not what makes a cigar special. Its a combination of the cigar and the event that creates a memory. :-)
Agreed! Pick up your favorite cigar and use that for your special occaision. At least that way you know it will be a good cigar that you have enjoyed in the past and it will make the occaision that much better!

(Nothing worse than having a totally new cigar for something special only to find out that the cigar is not what you were expecting (or worse, it's bad...).
[Reply]
T.G 10:45 AM 10-29-2009
Someone please pass the bottle of excedrin...
[Reply]
ucla695 01:24 PM 10-29-2009
Originally Posted by croatan:
I'm not a big LE fan, so I'd go with something either relatively special or that I just really liked with that box date.
:-) That's what I did for my anniversary. :-)
[Reply]
str8edg 01:49 PM 10-29-2009
thanks guys... now I just have to decide what to get :-)
[Reply]
Up